How do I remove Lawn Vac rear axle/transmission

greenwh@ler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got a craftsman lawn vac, model # 24A-07MP793 (or CMXGPAM241901) and the drive cable completely lost tension which meant the self propel feature stopped working like it should. I can pull on the drive cable with my hand to get rid of the slack and the self propel will engage but that’s not a long term solution. I took a look at the area where the transmission is housed on the rear axle and noticed gear fluid leaking so I figure something is going on inside the transmission.

I was able to get the rear wheels and bearings off on the rear axle, and popped the top cover to get to the drive belt + got the drive belt off of the pulley attached to the transmission, but I can’t figure out how to remove the transmission. The side casing of the lawn vac’s body is solid where the rear axle hole is on either side of the vac, so the axle can‘t just drop down. Since the axle doesn’t seem to want to slide left or right when I try to push it, I’m guessing the right and left sides of the axle on either side of the transmission probably pop out of the transmission housing somehow, but I’m really not sure.

Any ideas? I’ve found quite a few help articles/videos about repairing lawn-mower transmissions, but not for this particular law vac model. Thanks!

greenwh@ler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you mechanic mark! Yes, I’ve found that too, unfortunately didn’t see anything related to removing the rear axle/transmission. I’ll try to take another shot at figuring out how to remove it this weekend. It went in somehow, so I know it can be removed, just got to figure it out. It’s probably something real simple I am missing/not seeing.

greenwh@ler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was able to get the access panel off the back which was attached to the transmission housing. Transmission housing rotated so that I could see the reason for the leak: the two pieces that screwed on to the access panel were broken (noticed that before removing the access panel), and a good size piece of the transmission housing, which should have been around the arm which connects to the drive cable, was missing. Still not 100% sure how to get the rear axle out, but letting the gear oil drain out as much as it can so I can remove the bottom of the transmission pan without too much mess. Guessing there will be some connections inside of the transmission I can undo which will allow me to remove the axle. Slightly concerned this kind of break might be a design flaw, which is a problem if I replace the transmission, can‘t see how just using the lawn vac for it’s intended use would cause the transmission housing to break.