Engine Hortz- Vert

s10den

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alright all you Honda Tech's, I have a question. I bought a gx620 motor to do a possible upgrade on my John Deere tractor. When I was bidding on this motor (ebay) I asked the seller if this was a horizontal or vertical shaft motor. His reply was both with a picture of the motor showing a mounting pad in a horizontal position and the mounting bolts around the shaft showing the way the motor was mounted in the vertical position. I also see this was a propane powered engine, so I thought ya this might be right because it was propane and has a pressurized oiling system. Figured I could just convert it to gas with a new carb and be good. After buying the motor and receiving it a few weeks ago I got to looking at the engine cover around the output shaft where it mounts in the vertical position and thought well all I need to do is see where the oil pickup is. I removed the cover and can see it just picks up the oil the bottom cant determine which port is pickup. After doing some research I find that the blocks of most of the v-twin motors are the same with just different bores and strokes. With that being said it seems like you could simply buy a different cover with the pickup for the horizontal position. However there is about 60 million different variations of these lol. Anyone ever do anything like this?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
GX = Horizontal shaft engine
GXV = Vertical shaft engine

Really not practical to try and convert one to the other. Technically possible, but the parts cost to do it right would exceed the cost of an engine.

If you know the old engine models/size/specs, a good engine dealer can match it to the most compatible Honda model. Find a Honda Engine Dealer here:

Honda Engine Dealer Locator