Horsepower for a 7268

LawnBoykid2004

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone know how much horsepower my 1980 Lawn Boy 7268 has?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did some googling, appears the V series engine is. 4.5 hp, and the F series is 5 HP.

viperv10

Threads
I'm guessing your mower is 4 hp. It's Lawn boy's first F engine (F100) series with a plastic carb. Most of the mowers don't say but some models in the later 80's and 90's have decals on the top saying 4 or 4.5 Hp. I have owned a lot of LBs but have never owned a 5 hp F model. I couldn't say what the difference between the 4 and 4.5 hp mowers is. They look identical and have the same Walbro carbs. They must have made some improvements
over the years to get a little more power out of them over the early F100s. Those early pre compliant F engine mowers are still my favorite mowers for trimming.
They are so light and easy to push. Enjoy that old timer.
Regards,
Jerry

2smoked

Threads
I recall when the F engine was introduced, it was advertised as a motor that produced up to 4 horsepower. Take that for whatever it’s worth. All I can tell you is that it was more powerful than the D series that came before it. I’ve been cutting my lawn with mostly F series Lawn Boys for over forty years. With proper care, they seem to run forever.

viperv10

Threads
I have a model 7229 and a R7070 from 1979 and 1980 and they are still running strong. My first lawn boy was a 7265 from about 1976. It had the D601 engine in it. I used for at least 30 yrs. before it went bad. Then I had to learn how to start working on them. It's a fun hobby. I have bought a lot of non runners and fixed them up but they are hard to sell around here. Most people find out they are 2 strokes and they say no thanks.
Regards.
Jerry

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Used a Lawnboy back when I was a kid, dad bought it to trim with. I liked to mow with that little machine, engine purred, didn't weight anything, cut really nice. I used to mow half the yard with it just for fun. Still in the family, still runs, looks like crap.

bills old lawnboy.jpg