Hope all Timemaster owners know about this

Beaner2u

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am new to this group. I just purchased a Toro Timemaster from Home Depot. It was a year old model and I got it at a good price, but I have to find out if my unit has been updated with new blades as per this recall,

https://media.toro.com/Documents/safety/timemaster_and_turfmaster_recall.pdf

I like the mower for a large city lot. Still learning how to use it. I do like that it can cut close around trees and other objects.

I do not use the bagger and I have noticed some 'clumping' but I can live with that. Compared to a twenty-one or twenty-two inch mower, the is a card to get out of jail free.

Roger,

cphilip

Threads
Hello,

It was a year old model and I got it at a good price, but I have to find out if my unit has been updated with new blades as per this recall,

https://media.toro.com/Documents/safety/timemaster_and_turfmaster_recall.pdf

Hello Roger and welcome!

I couldn't tell if you were asking for help finding out if your mower was included in the recall or now so forgive me if I am stating the obvious. I bet though you just want to know how to tell one blade from another... but just in case...

In the recall verbiage is this small print

This recall involves 2013 Toro TimeMaster 30 and 2013 Toro TurfMaster 30 lawn mowers with the following
model and serial numbers: Model number 20199 with serial numbers ranging from 313000101 to 313020271;
model number 20200 with serial numbers ranging from 313000101 to 313007366; and, model number 22200 with
serial numbers ranging from 313000101 to 313007146. The phrases å…¸imeMaster or å…¸urfMaster and å…¸oro are
printed on the front of the black and red mower. å…¸oro is also printed on the side of the mower. The model and
serial numbers are located on a decal affixed to the engine base above the left rear tire.

Now... how does one tell if he already HAS the new blades on there? I got no idea but I bet someone knows the stamping or markings and hopefully will reply.
So I guess just follow the instructions and see if you have one in that serial number range and lets hope someone will chime in with the ID information on blades.

Good luck.

Brad66

Threads
Toro customer service should be able to look up your unit by serial number and tell you if the recall fix has been performed.

tempofast

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry to dig up an old thread! I recently acquired a Turfmaster that appears to fall under this recall. I called Toro and they don't have a record of it being fixed. I was hoping that someone here could tell me what parts were inspected/replaced as part of the recall. Toro was zero help and my local dealer is basically clueless.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a 13 year old TurfMaster, I would be willing to put big money on the fact that the blades have been replaced at least one time. To me someone, trying to get a new set of blades through a 13 year old recall, is an ambulance changer. You can start hating me now, but I call them as I see them, so you must go to the back of a long line.

tempofast

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have a 13 year old TurfMaster, I would be willing to put big money on the fact that the blades have been replaced at least one time. To me someone, trying to get a new set of blades through a 13 year old recall, is an ambulance changer. You can start hating me now, but I call them as I see them, so you must go to the back of a long line.
2021 - 2013 = 8 years, not 13. Also, I'm not an ambulance "changer." I've already got $200 in parts into this thing. I'm wondering if it's worth my time/effort to bring this thing in for repair when it's only something simple like a washer (in which I would just pay for and not worry about), or if it's something more serious, like the spindle/blade brake assembly.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seeing you hyjacked a 2014 thread I assumed you had a 2013 unit. The recall was for a washer on the left hand spindle assembly which could deform, allowing the spindle to loosen and the blades would then be allowed to contact each other. If my memory is still any good, we were instructed to replace the bevel washer and blades the blades if necessary. The original owner and dealer each received a copy of the recall notice. Most good dealers would contact the customers who had purchased these units and schedule to do the recall work. Most poor dealerships and Big Box companies did not do this and it became the responsibility of the customer to do so. If your blade has not come loose in “8” years, as the recall pertains to a 2013 units only. I don’t know why you think it may need replacing, but that is up to you. If you have a “1” year old unit it is no wonder the dealer could find no record of recall work being done on it.

tempofast

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not sure if it's thread hijacking when you comment into an existing relevant thread w/o wasting bandwidth to create a new thread for no reason - it's called diligent searching of the forums before clogging it up with the same question that's already been asked...

It's been ~8yrs, so who knows what happened and how many owners this thing really has, but when I called TORO the S/N shows that's it's never been fixed.

After contacting another dealer who had to do some digging to find out what was changed, here's the information that I was given:

The cup-washer in question is gold/bronze in color (which is what I have on mine unfortunately) and is subject to deforming (mine is deformed). The old part number is
125-2544. This has been replaced with a black version 130-2364 (~$4) and the addition of 109-9505 (~$2) spring washer. The torque value should be in the ~30ft/lb range of the nut. Providing everything else is up to spec (sprocket, spindle, blades, etc) then that is the only repair required. The dealer will then "mark the unit" to reflect the recall has been performed.

I hope this helps anyone else that searches for the same potential issue.