Honda HRX217HYA starting instructions

ejudgie

Threads
I have been starting my Honda HRX217HYA by pushing the engine speed lever all of the way up, pulling the starting cord and leaving it that way. Have to admit that it looks a little awkward in that position but the instructions seem to say to do this. When having it tuned up last week the technician said that that was the choke position and that I should pull it back back a bit (where it looks more normal). Which is the right way? There is nothing labelled on the lever indicating it is the choke position. Also, I thought this lawn mover had an auto choke. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been starting my Honda HRX217HYA by pushing the engine speed lever all of the way up, pulling the starting cord and leaving it that way. Have to admit that it looks a little awkward in that position but the instructions seem to say to do this. When having it tuned up last week the technician said that that was the choke position and that I should pull it back back a bit (where it looks more normal). Which is the right way? There is nothing labelled on the lever indicating it is the choke position. Also, I thought this lawn mover had an auto choke. Thoughts?

Ed...

The HYA does indeed have Autochoke, so there is no "choke" position on the throttle lever, just FAST ~ SLOW. Keep the throttle set to FAST when starting the engine, as well as when mowing for best cutting performance.

Your dealer's tech is confusing the HYA with slightly older versions of this mower which did have a manual choke built into the throttle lever.

ejudgie

Threads
Excellent. Thanks.

So pushing it past the "FAST" level does nothing useful and can only damage something else? If so, that might explain why it looks awkward.

Ed...

The HYA does indeed have Autochoke, so there is no "choke" position on the throttle lever, just FAST ~ SLOW. Keep the throttle set to FAST when starting the engine, as well as when mowing for best cutting performance.

Your dealer's tech is confusing the HYA with slightly older versions of this mower which did have a manual choke built into the throttle lever.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Excellent. Thanks.

So pushing it past the "FAST" level does nothing useful and can only damage something else?

Probably not going to damage anything unless you really force it, but the lever should not move much beyond FAST.

Properly adjusted, when the throttle is set to FAST, the throttle cable and governor linkage should allow the engine to run at 2,950~3,100 rpm maximum. Note this is with the blade engaged.

ejudgie

Threads
Thank you.

Probably not going to damage anything unless you really force it, but the lever should not move much beyond FAST.

Properly adjusted, when the throttle is set to FAST, the throttle cable and governor linkage should allow the engine to run at 2,950~3,100 rpm maximum. Note this is with the blade engaged.

HONDA-GUY

Threads
Ed...

I have wondered this myself here's why: My neighbor has the same mower and he claims that the fast position "locks in place", now when I push my throttle lever to fast it stops, I start mower and move on with life. My neighbor claims you push it to where it stops then push it some more past a notch??? I have watched him do this but I think he is incorrect and is pushing it too far.