Honda HRX217 KHXA

billuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
No I did not do an actual compression test and if your talking about the arms that sit at the ends of the valves, I just checked to see if they were working.
All I can say is I have another mower with a gvc 160 honda engine, which works great
and the engine of the 190 sounds/feels about the same as the 160. Just won't start

Buster7

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's more or less a mechanical law that if you have fuel and a spark and compression - an engine should fire and run. So something in that three is missing.I have not worked on Honda's and I just purchased my first - but I have wrenched a bit in my life. Could there be an errant kill switch wire? I know on an Intek where I had a similar problem - an engine that by all accounts should have started but didn't - and I had other people look at it and it stumped them - turned out to be the dead man cable was adjusted improperly by just a small measure. Good luck.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's more or less a mechanical law that if you have fuel and a spark and compression - an engine should fire and run. So something in that three is missing.I have not worked on Honda's and I just purchased my first - but I have wrenched a bit in my life. Could there be an errant kill switch wire? I know on an Intek where I had a similar problem - an engine that by all accounts should have started but didn't - and I had other people look at it and it stumped them - turned out to be the dead man cable was adjusted improperly by just a small measure. Good luck.
Which would of been found on a spark test. Unless the cable was right at the limit of on and off as you said. Nice catch on that. I always check that limit area by slowly moving the lever and see when the spark cuts out. Should have a bit more travel towards cable slackville.

billuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will 2x check it again but I definetly have spark in the start position on the throttle lever.
Also will check valves again.
Can't get to it untill this weekend.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are 2 TDC positions on a 4 smoke engine. Careful when adjusting valves. Just saying.

slomo

billuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do you know you're on the top dead center of the compression stroke,and not the exhaust stroke?

billuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok,I officially give up.I tried everything I could to get this going. I'm taking the hit on the replacement parts but maybe some will fit my 160 engine if needed.
Thanks to everyone but this is a lost cause.