Honda HRX Design Flaw?

NJDan

Threads
Almost two years ago my engine seized due to lack of oil. I had noticed in retrospect that there was oil on the front of the deck underneath the general area of the valve cover. After much education here I was able to rebuild the mower and now it runs great. However, oil is leaking AGAIN from the valve cover. I originally used the original cover with extra liquid gasket but it was leaking. I bought a new cover and was meticulous about cleaning the surfaces, installing it and torquing the bolts... still leaking. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong as it is simple to apply a gasket and bolt it on. Anyone else have this problem? It seems like they need a fifth bolt on the bottom of the cover instead of just at the corners.

shurguywutt

Threads
Had similar problem with my pressure washer that has a GCV190 and the leak continued after I resealed the cover. Found out there is an o ring on the bottom of the valve cover above the deck. Replaced that and the leak stopped.

Honda 91301-ZM0-V31 O-Ring (6.8X1.9)

Check it out.

NJDan

Threads
Had similar problem with my pressure washer that has a GCV190 and the leak continued after I resealed the cover. Found out there is an o ring on the bottom of the valve cover above the deck. Replaced that and the leak stopped.

Honda 91301-ZM0-V31 O-Ring (6.8X1.9)

Check it out.
I assume you are talking about part number 14 in the diagram linked here:

If so, did you see leakage from where that cam shaft or pin fits into the edge of the valve cover? I am feeling oil at the cover seal but it could well be dripping down from that pin, I suppose. I do recall that I left the original gasket on that shaft. If that is the problem those gaskets sure are finicky! Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

JBtoro

Threads
Almost two years ago my engine seized due to lack of oil. I had noticed in retrospect that there was oil on the front of the deck underneath the general area of the valve cover. After much education here I was able to rebuild the mower and now it runs great. However, oil is leaking AGAIN from the valve cover. I originally used the original cover with extra liquid gasket but it was leaking. I bought a new cover and was meticulous about cleaning the surfaces, installing it and torquing the bolts... still leaking. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong as it is simple to apply a gasket and bolt it on. Anyone else have this problem? It seems like they need a fifth bolt on the bottom of the cover instead of just at the corners.
I had that problem once. I learned that the entire mower (or engine if it is off the mower) must be lifted & tilted backwards at such an angle such that no residual oil can gravity seep down to the valve cover mating surface while the gasket maker is curing. Oil compromises the sealing properties of gasket maker. Allow for several hours (overnight is even better) of cure time after bolting the valve cover back in place. Solved the problem for me but your experience may be different.

NJDan

Threads
Thanks for that. In my case, the mower didn't have any oil in it yet. I probably gave it several days to dry. I'm definitely going to get a closer look at that little o-ring.

I had that problem once. I learned that the entire mower (or engine if it is off the mower) must be lifted & tilted backwards at such an angle such that no residual oil can gravity seep down to the valve cover mating surface while the gasket maker is curing. Oil compromises the sealing properties of gasket maker. Allow for several hours (overnight is even better) of cure time after bolting the valve cover back in place. Solved the problem for me but your experience may be different.