Honda HRX 217 Pops Out Of Gear

Jayhawker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda Hrx 217 whcih runs perfectly except for the following problem: Occasionally, when mowing, I hear a loud "snap" noise and the clutch disengages. I have to engage as usual and it will run fine until it occurs again. I noticed today that it seemed to occur more when making a "U" turn. Any ideas about what might be going on here?

JBtoro

Threads
Your title says "pops out of gear" but explanation seems to be that the "clutch" disengages. The former would seem to be the self propel mechanisms, including the transmission, and the latter would be the blade stop clutch. Not sure if I can help, but a little more clarification would help.

Jayhawker

Forum Newbie
Threads
It just feels like it pops out of gear. Actually, I suspect the blade stop clutch. After it "pops out", I simply have to re-engage the blades and continue until it happens again which may be one minute or one week.

JBtoro

Threads
It just feels like it pops out of gear. Actually, I suspect the blade stop clutch. After it "pops out", I simply have to re-engage the blades and continue until it happens again which may be one minute or one week.
Could be the cable or the clutch itself might be shot. I am resurrecting an HRX217HMA presently so I'll keep an eye out for what might be causing your problem. At this point, I just don't know. Have you joined/posted at lawnsite.com? You might get more replies there.

Jayhawker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be the cable or the clutch itself might be shot. I am resurrecting an HRX217HMA presently so I'll keep an eye out for what might be causing your problem. At this point, I just don't know. Have you joined/posted at lawnsite.com? You might get more replies there.
Thank you for your replies.

Jayhawker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: It was the cable adjustment. I realized that the freeplay on the blade control was quite excessive and correcting it needed all the adjustment available on the cable. Since this has been occurring since I bought the mower ( and slowly worsening), I suspect that it was never adjusted at the factory. Chapter two of this episode was that the engine started surging badly at idle. I decided to take the whole hog to task cleaning the carb and jets, gas cap vents, filter, gas lines, replacing the air filter and putting new gas in. Don't know which of the culprits it was but it runs great now.

Sparkland

Threads
Update: It was the cable adjustment. I realized that the freeplay on the blade control was quite excessive and correcting it needed all the adjustment available on the cable. Since this has been occurring since I bought the mower ( and slowly worsening), I suspect that it was never adjusted at the factory. Chapter two of this episode was that the engine started surging badly at idle. I decided to take the whole hog to task cleaning the carb and jets, gas cap vents, filter, gas lines, replacing the air filter and putting new gas in. Don't know which of the culprits it was but it runs great now.
My three old HRX does the same thing you were talking about, on occasion. It is irritating, since there is no adjustment left in the cable. I still like the mower fine, but it is certainly heavy.