Honda HRT216 KSDA Spewing White Smoke

npolite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

This morning I was mowing the lawn when I guess I accumulated too much grass for the mower to handle and it shut off. When I went to start it again it started spewing white smoke and oil was coming out of the exhaust and air filter. I suspect that I blew the head gasket. I was trying to remove it from the front but it seems like I can't get the valve cover off. Also there doesn't appear to be any additional screws behind the valve to get to the gasket. Can anyone help tell me if I have to unmount the entire engine to get to this?

Thanks,
Nick

gfp55

Threads
Maybe you can post some pictures of the valve cover you are trying to remove?

npolite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe you can post some pictures of the valve cover you are trying to remove?

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the part and I don't think this is going to get me access to the head gasket. I guess I am looking for if anyone has a tear down of this model so I can get to the head gasket. It just is odd that a buildup of grass would cause this much damage.

gfp55

Threads
Have you tried hondalawnparts.com

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Honda HRT uses a GCV engine, and it does not have a separate cylinder head and block (or head gasket). The block itself is two parts, and there is a timing belt between the crankshaft and camshaft.

Depending on what your time is worth, it is often less costly to simply replace the engine rather than rebuild it. In parts alone you can easily exceed 50-80% of the cost of a new engine, and that is with $0 labor cost. That is why most dealers do no rebuild, and instead, replace these engines when there is excessive wear or damage (bent crankshaft, etc.).

If you do wish to rebuild, a shop manual is strongly recommended. Honda sells them on eBay and Amazon for this exact model; search for "HRT 216 SHOP MANUAL"

gfp55

Threads
But isn't Honda the best? How can that be. Hondas don't fail. You must have your facts wrong.