Repairs Honda HRC216(K1)SXA Transmission oil change and more

nick5

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRC216(K1)SXA Transmission oil change and more
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm a residential mower and just recently got a great deal on a Honda HRC216(K1)SXA in excellent condition with the original owners manual. I'm trying to do all the recommended maintenance on it so it will last as long as possible. I've done most of the common stuff but was wondering if there was a pdf file anywhere with the HRC215K1 HRC216K1 Shop manual (I attached a picture of the cover of this manual). Or if there isn't a pdf of the complete manual, if anyone could possibly post/send me the pages that cover changing the transmission oil. I'm trying to avoid paying the $40 bucks to actually buy the manual from Honda. The owners manual did mention the type of recommended transmission oil (see below) but didn't go over exactly how to change it, how much to add, etc.

The owners manual said to use hypoid 90SAE transmission oil. From doing some research I found that honda doesn't actually make SAE90 but they do make 80W 90 Shaft Drive Hypoid Oil which is what I bought on ebay (link below).

Pro Honda Shaft Drice Oil Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 80W90 8 Oz | eBay

Here's a list of the maintenance stuff I've done so far
- new spark plug
- sharpened blade
- new air filter
- new rear tires (got a good deal on these off ebay but haven't installed them yet. From the couple threads I've read about installing them, it sounds like this is going to be a real pain in the ***. Anyone who has experience with this - do you recommend changing the tires with the wheels attached to the axel or taking them off the axel? And any other tips?)
- added Seafoam to my first tank of gas in an attempt to try to clean out the carb (it wasn't having carb issues but thought this would be a good idea)

Is there anything else anyone would recommend in terms of trying to get this mower to last as long as possible?

From what I've read here and elsewhere online, it sounds like the point of failure is usually the transmission with these mowers. Any tips/advice on how to keep the transmission healthy besides changing the transmission oil?

Sorry for such a long post. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Honda HRC215K1 HRC216K1 Shop Manual.jpg
    Honda HRC215K1 HRC216K1 Shop Manual.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 25

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Honda HRC216(K1)SXA Transmission oil change and more
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm a residential mower and just recently got a great deal on a Honda HRC216(K1)SXA

The HRC models are tanks, for sure. Take good care of it, and you're grandkids will be using it one day.

The owner's manual has a list of all regular maintenance items in the Maintenance Schedule.

Honda does not offer digital copies of shop manuals. If you do happen to find one online, it's a bootleg/pirate copy, and may not match your mower 100%, so be careful. You can get a real, paper copy from Honda direct on Amazon or eBay:
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

You are right about no SAE90 oil direct from Honda. You should be able to find a good brand at any autoparts store.

Unless you have operational problems, leaks, etc. from the transmission, there is no need to service it. There is no scheduled maintenance for the gear transmission on this model.