Honda HR214/215 Carburetor 0-ring

golfergordy

Threads
I've owned 6 or 7 HR214/215 mowers in the past few years, some obtained just for parts, and others for using. Since these mowers are 20-35 years old, the engines often don't run smoothly when I get them. I've cleaned out 5 or 6 of their carburetors and found a key carburetor part for getting the engine to run smoothly, and not hunt (constantly speed up and slow down) for a steady rpm. The part is an o-ring seen in the picture. When the carburetor has this o-ring intact I can usually get the mower to run smoothly with a carb clean-out. Sometimes this o-ring is missing, or badly damaged, and then the rpm won't stay steady. I've taken this o-ring from a parts mower and switched it into the carburetor of an otherwise good mower that wouldn't run smoothly and got it to then run smoothly.

I've looked but can't find this o-ring for sale anywhere without buying a gasket kit or a jet set pilot at an exorbitant price, considering that only the o-ring is needed, which alone is probably a $0.05 item. Also, I haven't been able to find out any sizing information for this o-ring. I'm hoping that someone on this forum knows what size this o-ring is so that I can try to buy a few at an o-ring supplier, or provide a source for obtaining this o-ring at a reasonable price. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide this information.Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 9.49.17 PM.png

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Call McMaster Carr. Tell them you want an O-ring of said size that is fuel rated. Buy an O-ring kit if they have one.

Use 100% silicone grease when you install all O-rings. Best grease I've found is Magic Lube. You can find it in swimming pool supply stores or online. This stuff is super tacky and stays put even in chlorinated water. Use it around the house for plumbing repairs and so on.
1630598598815.png

golfergordy

Threads
One problem is that I don't know what size the o-ring is. The size is what I'm hoping someone on this forum can tell me. I already have an o-ring kit that I bought a few years ago, but it doesn't contain o-rings small enough for what's needed. I presume that the o-ring that's needed is a metric size.

olgeezershonda

Threads
I would just go to a Honda dealership, order the pilot jet set and be done with it. They're a genuine Honda part, they aren't very expensive, even less than the one pictured above and will last for decades if you use clean fuel and practice proper off-season storage. Unlike an o-ring in a valve stem the pilot jet just sits there, it doesn't move so the o-ring is not going to wear out or go missing on their own. If you do have to remove and clean a dirty pilot jet don't spray carb cleaner on it because it'll swell the o-ring making it impossible to reinstall which is quite likely the reason why the o-rings were damaged or missing on the used mowers you bought. I've done it myself. Lesson learned.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
One problem is that I don't know what size the o-ring is. The size is what I'm hoping someone on this forum can tell me. I already have an o-ring kit that I bought a few years ago, but it doesn't contain o-rings small enough for what's needed. I presume that the o-ring that's needed is a metric size.
They make tape measures, micrometers and calipers. Check them out.

Not many people have 20-35 y/o hyunda mowers like yours and know off the top of their head the 0-ring size.