HONDA GCV190LA. PULL STRING IS PULLED OUT OF MY HAND.

STRUGLIN

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HONDA GCV190LA. PULL STRING IS PULLED OUT OF MY HAND.
I pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves .15MM on intake and .20 exhaust. They were a little out of tolerance about .08 mm. I was able to rotate the top pulley near the valves without the valves moving. There was resistance but it felt like the belt was jumping teeth. I pulled the top pulley and reinstalled wit timing marks in the correct location.
After I put it all back together I pulled the string a couple times and it almost started. On the 4th pull the string was ripped from my hands. Belt was either jumping teeth or lower pulley is broken?
  1. Does Honda sell metal timing pulleys for this motor? Do GX parts fit?
  2. What is the difference between the GCV and the GX?
  3. Am I safe to assume it is jumping time?
  4. Am I correct with the thought process that the upper pulley near the valves should not rotate without the motor turning/valves moving?
Thanks for the insight in advance.

ProMower

Threads
If it pulls back on your hand, the timing is off. Why did you adjust the valves? If you did not hit a stump or anything previous then retrace your steps and double check the timing marks. Stick with parts for your exact motor. There can be a lot of rotation where the valves do not move. You should rotate the motor with the plug removed and use the pull cord to make adjustments, not the cam pulley. Is this a PW or a mower, if a PW, check that cam pulley for slight damage really close around the compression release mechanism.

STRUGLIN

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it pulls back on your hand, the timing is off. Why did you adjust the valves? If you did not hit a stump or anything previous then retrace your steps and double check the timing marks. Stick with parts for your exact motor. There can be a lot of rotation where the valves do not move. You should rotate the motor with the plug removed and use the pull cord to make adjustments, not the cam pulley. Is this a PW or a mower, if a PW, check that cam pulley for slight damage really close around the compression release mechanism.
I adjusted the valves because it was open. I applied a little pressure on the upper timing pully and it felt like something spun/jumped. I think I am going to by all new for the timing system.