Honda GCV190 will not spark

MagicMush

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda GCV190 on a lawnmower. I was mowing and stopped the mower to get a drink of water, when I returned it would not start. I found I had very little to no compression. I disassembled the engine and found the exhaust valve was sticking. I cleaned everything up and reassembled the engine. I tried to start it but no go and no spark. I replaced the coil and spark plug and it still will not start. Rechecked the timing and compression, and everything is good. I have also checked the stop switch and it is fine. The only thing I can possibly think of at this point is the flywheel magnet. It seems to have good magnetism, but I do not know. Can anyone help me with this one?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Flywheel magnets are the last thing I would be checking. First thing I would recheck is coil air gap. Then I would disconnect the coil kill wire and check for spark. No spark would indicate a bad coil.

HurstGN

Threads
Check for the gap. If it's more than a business card, it's too big a gap. Check for spark by removing the plug and grounding it or a tester light that goes inline to the plug. If no spark/light, check the keyway to ensure the flywheel is aligned properly. If it's aligned properly, it's the coil. Simple replacement.