HONDA GCV160A RTL1 questions

sdj539

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I recently bought a used lawn boy 10696 with a HONDA GCV160A RTL1 engine. After one cut I started hearing a loud metallic Clank at first I thought it was the electric start motor hitting the flywheel teeth however after taking off the starter it's still continues to make that noise when going through thick grass. I've noticed that the blade moves with a little bit of force up and down and I believe the blade is contacting the deck. What would cause this and what do I need to check? Is it possible a bearing that is shot? Thank you for all your help and answers.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unplug spark plug boot for Safety. If present shut off fuel valve before carburetor. Rotate mower on its side with carburetor facing upward. Remove blade & inspect after cleaning for cracks, warpage, sharpening, etc. Does underside of deck have marks from blade?
Let us know what you find, thanks Mark

sdj539

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the info. I cleaned out the deck really good, I had sprayed it off earlier but I didn't realize how solidly stuck some of the old grass, mud etc was stuck on to it. I also cleaned the carb and installed new gaskets and new governor spring. It now runs and cuts great. No more metal on metal noise.