Honda GCV160 - Went from 100% working to 0%; re-built carb 3x, now new carb- still 0%

NBKarnage

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda GCV160 - Went from 100% working to 0%; re-built carb 3x, now new carb- still 0%
Hey everyone...first time caller, long time mower.

I am very mechanical savvy and have read/printed/completed almost every suggestion to fix this dead mower with no luck so am now a member and asking for help.

Here's symptoms:
- Mower worked perfect all this year and then one fine grass cutting day just would not start, no sputter...nothing
- Everything pulls and feels fine
- Mower WILL start perfectly if I pour a cap of gas directly into air cleaner cup...will purr perfectly for 2-3 seconds and die. Will not re-fire at all with pull string just after running.

Everything points to carb, fully agree so here's what I've done so far:
- carb pulled and cleaned to the max (all components sprayed with carb cleaner, everything was super clean to begin with and no evidence of varnish or debris, all VERY small orifices cleaned with wire, needle valve and float in excellent condition, etc)
- fuel lines pulled, sprayed and cleaned. New gas.
- new spark plug (again, fires 100% with gas installed directly so not the problem)

Put back together and same condition...absolutely nothing until I put small amount of gas directly into air cleaner hole
- watched more YouTube videos then a high-school nerd about how-to clean carbs
- cleaned carb 2x more....
- nothing, no change in mower
- went to local garden equipment store and bought brand new carb...installed
NOTHING

So here I am...head shaking but mower not at curb side where many others would've put it.

My back yard looks like a scene from Jumanji so ALL ideas and comments welcome with open arms, where should I try next?

Thanks,
-Neal

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Honda GCV160 - Went from 100% working to 0%; re-built carb 3x, now new carb- still 0%
Check for spark coil is prolly bad, it will start when you poor gas into the carb because even a weak spark will ignite it. But quickly die off.

You want a nice bright (lights off perfered) blue spark