honda gcv160 5.5hp

bones660

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a cold start problem with this engine . the crank gat bent hitting a tree stump . so i have put in a new crank , i have timed it all up correctly . i also fitted new carb gasket set . genuine honda ones too . but now it is a real pig to start . the engine is fitted to a allen 453 professional which is a hover mower . it has a manual choke . i thought maybe valves are sticking . but no , maybe timed up wrong , but no , all is as it should be . but when it does get going it just doesn't sound quite right somewhere . when you push the govenor arm is doesn't seem to rev properly . i have tried everything i can think off . any ideas . :wink::wink::wink:

bwdbrn1

Threads
Make sure the gaskets are put on in the right sequence and direction. It's very easy to get them on wrong, I know from experience. Also make sure the throttle cable is adjusted correctly so that the choke is closing completely, not just most of the way.

Simple trick to getting the carb, and all the related bits and pieces, back together again without feeling like you need a third hand, is to get two 6mm threaded studs that are about 4" long from the hard ware store. When removing the carb, take one of the bolts out and replace it with one of the studs, take the other one out and replace that one with the other stud. Then slip everything off of the studs, and use them to line everything back up when re-installing. Honda mentions this in their shop manual for the GCV160, but have special studs as they call them with a Honda part number.

bones660

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure the gaskets are put on in the right sequence and direction. It's very easy to get them on wrong, I know from experience. Also make sure the throttle cable is adjusted correctly so that the choke is closing completely, not just most of the way.

Simple trick to getting the carb, and all the related bits and pieces, back together again without feeling like you need a third hand, is to get two 6mm threaded studs that are about 4" long from the hard ware store. When removing the carb, take one of the bolts out and replace it with one of the studs, take the other one out and replace that one with the other stud. Then slip everything off of the studs, and use them to line everything back up when re-installing. Honda mentions this in their shop manual for the GCV160, but have special studs as they call them with a Honda part number.

think i will give this ago . i bought 2 sets of gaskets . i think i will get a new carb too . it does seem to me to be a fueling problem . i know on the original honda carb you only have minimal mixture adjustment . what is the correct setting for the mixture screw . ie how many turns to set it . :confused2:

bwdbrn1

Threads
I'll take a look at the manual later to see what it says.

bones660

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll take a look at the manual later to see what it says.

also do you have a diagram of which gasket goes where and what way round they go . just to make sure i have them correct . just weird it run ok with the bent crank but soon as i have replaced a couple things it doesn't want to start when cold . and rev properly from start to finish . which makes me lean towards carb and fueling problem . :confused2:

bwdbrn1

Threads
For a diagram, take a poke around on this company's site to see if you can find your specific engine and look up the carburetor diagrams.

I looked in my shop manual for the number of turns. Again, there's so many variants of the GCV160 engine, and there was a list that was about half a page long for all the different carbs that have been used on them telling how many turns out to start with, but regardless of which one it was, it was either 1 or 1 3/8 turn out. So that should get you in the ball park.

For those interested, the Honda part number shown in the shop manual for those studs to help in the reassembly of the carb and all it's gaskets and such is 90013-ZG9-T00. Guess it's actually nothing more than a 6X83 stud.