Honda GCV 160 Dead after hitting rebar :(

tallmadge330

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone!

I need your assistance in troubleshooting a Honda push mower that is about 6-7 years old. I am no mechanic, but I know enough, and have enough tools to be dangerous :)

I was mowing this past weekend and hit a survey pin (Rebar) which brought the mower to a dead stop. After that it did not want to start, so I let it sit for a few minutes, after sitting for a few minutes it started back up and ran for about 2 minutes then died again. I decided I best put it in the shed so I don't damage it any further.

I was planning on doing some troubleshooting, but I don't know where to start. I'm assuming I've done some internal damage. I was going to start with the basics, Air, Fuel, Spark, and Oil, but I imagine those will all pass the test, and I've probably got some timing, piston, rod issues. I dont want to keep pulling it if I am doing damage.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Its a Honda GCV 160

Thanks all!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would start by removing the blade and inspecting it. Check the key to be sure it is not sheared. Next I would put the blade back on if it is straight and turn it to see if the crankshaft is bent. The blade should spin in a nice flat plane and not wobble. If that is Ok I would next check the flywheel key to make sure it is not sheared or partially sheared. Also make sure that there is fuel in it, sometimes when bad things happen like hitting a survey pin it diverts our attention away from simple causes.

tallmadge330

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for saving my butt! it was out of gas! I am not sure what the odds of hitting something and running out of gas is, but you nailed it!!

Thank you