Homelite weed water shaft? Planning to purchase new weed eater, What is best?

fmitchelltx

Threads
  • / Homelite weed water shaft? Planning to purchase new weed eater, What is best?
I have a Homelite weed eater that I purchased used from a shop a couple of years ago (August 2013). It worked fine until last season. Last June (2014), the shaft (cable) went bad on it. I ordered a new shaft assy from e-Replacement Parts at that time. After maybe 3 short uses, the shaft I had just purchased broke again. I called e-Replacement parts where I had purchased the shaft in June. They sent me out a new one. I used the weed eater until about September (2014) and then it would no longer start. Yesterday, I put a carb kit on it. It ran and worked fine. Today I was doing some weed eating around the front of the house, along the sidewalk, flowerbeds, etc., nothing heavy at all. While I was weed eating around the flower beds, the shaft broke again. Does anyone else have this problem? Is Homelite just a piece of junk? It looks that way to me.

I will probably just go to Walmart or somewhere and purchase another weed eater, new with warranty. What brands / models are the best? I am not cutting down brush or anything heavy like that. Just weed eating around the house, flowerbeds, etc. I don't need an expensive one, I already have one of those with all of the money I have sunk into the piece of junk Homelite that I have.

I do not want an electric as I have found them to be junk as well, at least the Black & Decker ones.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
  • / Homelite weed water shaft? Planning to purchase new weed eater, What is best?
Echo, Husqvarna and Stihl get the best feedback on here. I have only experience with the Echo SRM-225 and really like it. You have seen how the extra cost in a cheap one doesn't save you money. I think buying a good one now would be your best bet.

fmitchelltx

Threads
Thank you!

lewb

Threads
If you continue to break shafts I would say there is another issue. Is there a bearing off the motor that the shaft connects to or the bearing on the spool? I have never had one apart for all I know the shaft turns on bushings. Does this homelite have a bent or straight shaft? I have a straight shaft homelite that is 5 years old. Mine will do a pretty good job just running on idle for most of my trimming. I agree that a homelite is probably not worth fixing. Some times you can find a commercial grade weed eater from a lawn mowing company when they upgrade.

fmitchelltx

Threads
If you continue to break shafts I would say there is another issue. Is there a bearing off the motor that the shaft connects to or the bearing on the spool? I have never had one apart for all I know the shaft turns on bushings. Does this homelite have a bent or straight shaft? I have a straight shaft homelite that is 5 years old. Mine will do a pretty good job just running on idle for most of my trimming. I agree that a homelite is probably not worth fixing. Some times you can find a commercial grade weed eater from a lawn mowing company when they upgrade.

It is a curved shaft. I am looking at a used Husquvarna possibly. I am also looking at a new factory remanufactured Ryobi but am seeing very mixed reviews on the Ryobi.

Do you have any thoughts on the Ryobi? I know the Husquvarna is a great brand. It is just going to be more expensive than the Ryobi.

I just don't want to spend $200+ for one that will just be used lightly.

I took the Homelite completely apart yesterday and all is good on the motor side. I just think that it is old and no longer worth fixing