HM100 no spark

MichaelSwan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I volunteered to fix a chipper shredder for a friend. He said that it was hard to start and once he got it running, he had to let it run all day as he could not restart it when it was hot. I figured it had a bad coil. I got no spark and took it off and tested it, dead short. Does not have points or condenser, electronic. I ordered one off ebay and it was china and no spark. contacted seller and he sent me another one, no spark. Checked gap, used a business card to set it, check magnets, will hold a stout screwdriver easy, key in flywheel is fine. I sent those two back and found a real Tecumseh coil. Put it on and it fired twice and then nothing. I would like to get this machine running for my friend but am at my wits end right now on my next steps. I believe he said the machine was purchased in around 1996/97 but he is not sure. The DOM on the engine is 6270D. They never chipped wood with it, just ground up leaves. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Michael

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Hi, I volunteered to fix a chipper shredder for a friend. He said that it was hard to start and once he got it running, he had to let it run all day as he could not restart it when it was hot. I figured it had a bad coil. I got no spark and took it off and tested it, dead short. Does not have points or condenser, electronic. I ordered one off ebay and it was china and no spark. contacted seller and he sent me another one, no spark. Checked gap, used a business card to set it, check magnets, will hold a stout screwdriver easy, key in flywheel is fine. I sent those two back and found a real Tecumseh coil. Put it on and it fired twice and then nothing. I would like to get this machine running for my friend but am at my wits end right now on my next steps. I believe he said the machine was purchased in around 1996/97 but he is not sure. The DOM on the engine is 6270D. They never chipped wood with it, just ground up leaves. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Michael
This doesn't really help your situation but just FYI, that engine was built on the 270th day of a year that ended in 6, 76,86,96,2006. Tecumseh lets you guess which decade.

It would probably be a little unusual for a chipper/shredder, but this wouldn't happen to have electric start would it? If so, check the kill wire for any battery voltage.

You already know this but besides the spark plug there are only two components involved in making spark. The flywheel and the coil of course. Did you check both magnets in the flywheel? Another long shot, but is there any evidence of any welding being done on the unit? I'm asking what may seem like silly questions based on things I have actually run into in the past.

MichaelSwan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, not electric start, I wish it were, I trashed my right shoulder trying to crank the thing. No evidence of welding
, but I asked him just to be sure. The magnets look good, have not shifted and magnets seem strong. Will keep looking.
Michael

This doesn't really help your situation but just FYI, that engine was built on the 270th day of a year that ended in 6, 76,86,96,2006. Tecumseh lets you guess which decade.

It would probably be a little unusual for a chipper/shredder, but this wouldn't happen to have electric start would it? If so, check the kill wire for any battery voltage.

You already know this but besides the spark plug there are only two components involved in making spark. The flywheel and the coil of course. Did you check both magnets in the flywheel? Another long shot, but is there any evidence of any welding being done on the unit? I'm asking what may seem like silly questions based on things I have actually run into in the past.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have no spark when the kill wire is disconnected, you have a bad coil.