Hi - HRR216k9 When engine off mower pulls back fine, when engine running....

p3210

Threads
  • / Hi - HRR216k9 When engine off mower pulls back fine, when engine running....
Hi All - Yesterday I picked up a well used HRR216k9vkaa and have been stalking your forum (thanks for all the info).
As the title says - when the mower engine is off, the mower pulls back fine (with some resistance due to transmission).
When the engine is running, and without engaging the drive, when I pull the mower back it will be OK for a few feet and then give resistance. When the mower resists, and I lift the rear end, the rear wheels will spin forward an inch or 2 (or 3) .... then Ill continue to pull back and after a few feet the resistance repeats itself.

When the drive cable was properly adjusted the issue was more aggressive (more spin when I lifted the rear wheels). I have now loosed the drive cable to the point that the forward speed is a slower walking pace; the issue is currently what I noted in the above paragraph.

Could the transmission spring be weak and need replacing.... maybe if the spring is weak the engine vibration might cause the pully and belt to catch?
The transmission belt (bando 22431-VE2-J000) looks OK.... not overly tight, in fact it could be loose. Could a loose belt cause the above symptom?

Any input greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Phil

gotomow

Threads
  • / Hi - HRR216k9 When engine off mower pulls back fine, when engine running....
Well used, could have worn pulleys wrong belt or worn out belt. Spring could definitely be part of the issue. Completely wrong or worn out components may make simple fixes......not simple

p3210

Threads
Well used, could have worn pulleys wrong belt or worn out belt. Spring could definitely be part of the issue. Completely wrong or worn out components may make simple fixes......not simple
Thanks. I think the spring is inexpensive and Ill call Bando tomorrow and see if they can tell me if the belt is designed for my model of HRR216. I didnt consider the transmission pulley being bad...are my HRR216 symptoms often associated with a worn pulley? Thanks again for the input!.

gotomow

Threads
Not common for pulley to be badly worn, but with unknown history??

gotomow

Threads
Did you verify the condition of the drive shaft and the bushings? Rusty shaft and worn bushings will cause adjustment of the drive cable to be way off

p3210

Threads
Did you verify the condition of the drive shaft and the bushings? Rusty shaft and worn bushings will cause adjustment of the drive cable to be way off
Thanks for the info on the pulley - Im hoping the transmission is OK but Ill keep the pulley in mind. The axle is rusty and the bushings associated with both "rear adjusting arms" are well worn; the bushing on the transmission-side has alot more wear, but both adjusting arms need replacing due to the bushing condition. How does the axle rust and worn adjuster arm bushings impact the drive cable? Thanks again!

gotomow

Threads
Thanks for the info on the pulley - Im hoping the transmission is OK but Ill keep the pulley in mind. The axle is rusty and the bushings associated with both "rear adjusting arms" are well worn; the bushing on the transmission-side has alot more wear, but both adjusting arms need replacing due to the bushing condition. How does the axle rust and worn adjuster arm bushings impact the drive cable? Thanks again!
The drive cable is adjustable within the parameters of a properly operating drive system. Rust on the shaft in the areas of the bushings can play havoc on that system no amount of adjustment can compensate for it.

p3210

Threads
The drive cable is adjustable within the parameters of a properly operating drive system. Rust on the shaft in the areas of the bushings can play havoc on that system no amount of adjustment can compensate for it.
Wow - Thanks! I didnt realize the bushings would impact the drive cable. Those bushings are definitely shot. Ill get them, the spring, and inquire about the belt being used. Thanks!

Briantii

Threads
Wow - Thanks! I didnt realize the bushings would impact the drive cable. Those bushings are definitely shot. Ill get them, the spring, and inquire about the belt being used. Thanks!

Consider adding an extra dust seal or felt to keep dirt out if you’re messing with the bushings. Also the bushings maybe fine until they warm up, then they start to stick and you can’t pull it backwards. Anything related to not being able to pull it backwards start with the bushings first. They’re a massive design failure. Lots of good bushing info here:

p3210

Threads
Consider adding an extra dust seal or felt to keep dirt out if you’re messing with the bushings. Also the bushings maybe fine until they warm up, then they start to stick and you can’t pull it backwards. Anything related to not being able to pull it backwards start with the bushings first. They’re a massive design failure. Lots of good bushing info here:

[/URL]
Thanks!
Ill take a look at the link and do a google search to see what are my dust seal options.