Hi All, my first post! 2 questions

floydyisms

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a troy bilt mustang, courage 25, model number 17WF2ACP011
first question, my muffler fell off! the 4 bolts (I am thinking they were self tapping screws) are gone. A new muffler is around $100. If I just get a little bigger screws could I just put the old muffler back on? Has anyone had their muffler just fall off??..LOL

second problem is when going forward or turning, the mower starts very slowly moving then speeds up, when turning right it seems to slow down, almost stop then speed up again when straightened out. Doesnt seem to to it when turning left. Not sure if I described it well...

Thanks for any help!!!! :)

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Muffler bolts coming loose common on that muffler. The bolts are 1/4 x 20. You should be able to just get some new 1" bolts and put it back on.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Muffler bolts coming loose common on that muffler. The bolts are 1/4 x 20. You should be able to just get some new 1" bolts and put it back on.
Simply won't work...

You can go ahead and try to install 1/4-20 screw in the place of the 5/16-18 x 3/4 (MTD specs the 710-1314A at 5/16-18 x 5/8) socket head screws. Lock washers should also be installed; hence, the extra 1/8 inch in length. Torque to 150 in.-lb.. (Or if you have studs then they are M8 nuts and studs and they are torqued to 216 in-lbs.)

If striped install a heli-coil and correct screws or studs.

As for the drive problem check the drive belt idler arm for freedom of movement they tend to rust up at pivot point.

floydyisms

Forum Newbie
Threads
Simply won't work...

You can go ahead and try to install 1/4-20 screw in the place of the 5/16-18 x 3/4 (MTD specs the 710-1314A at 5/16-18 x 5/8) socket head screws. Lock washers should also be installed; hence, the extra 1/8 inch in length. Torque to 150 in.-lb.. (Or if you have studs then they are M8 nuts and studs and they are torqued to 216 in-lbs.)

If striped install a heli-coil and correct screws or studs.

As for the drive problem check the drive belt idler arm for freedom of movement they tend to rust up at pivot point.
thank you! will try that today!! :)