Help with Lawn Boy Model #4261

jason4588

Forum Newbie
Threads
All,

After a recent death in the family I took over taking care of the yard at my parents house. While I have been doing the manual labor of their yard for years I was never in charge of the maintenance of the equipment. We use the Lawn Boy with the bagger to cut the pool yard. Recently the mower has been producing a large amount of white smoke and the engine RPM's sound low and sometimes the mower feels like it may stall. Is this possibly a dirty carb? As I said Im not familiar with the maintenance side of things but if this is something I could learn to do myself / save some money I'd like to do that. Any help or links to videos would be fantastic.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
White smoke usually indicates water in the gas. The first thing I would try is dumping the fuel in the tank and mix up some fresh fuel, 40/1 and put it in the system. If the smoke clears up you’ve found the problem. Do not use the fuel in the gas can you have.

jason4588

Forum Newbie
Threads
White smoke usually indicates water in the gas. The first thing I would try is dumping the fuel in the tank and mix up some fresh fuel, 40/1 and put it in the system. If the smoke clears up you’ve found the problem. Do not use the fuel in the gas can you have.
Thanks, the fuel is fresh. I used this to mix with 2 gallons of gasoline:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does fresh fuel mean purchased in the last two weeks? Dump about an inch of the fuel in a clear glass jar. Close the jar and shake vigorously. Any bubbles in the liquid will indicate water In the fuel. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen new fuel right from the pump with water.

jason4588

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ll have to check that. i know i made the fuel right after going to the gas station. no other piece of lawn equipment has had issues