Export thread

HELP,with briggs wiring?

B

beachbumtroy

i got an old lowes riding mower with an 18hp briggs & stratton motor and just in case u need, its a 18hp 44inch cut, theres 3 wires coming from under flywheel really 3 but the 3rd wire is a coil ground, my first question is.. does the ground
coming from coil have to be grounded from ignition switch ground? and the 2 other wires are red and orange, which one is which? i mean red goes to what? and orange goes to what? i believe 1 is for the charging system and 1 is
for the magneto? anyway i got this mower all the wiring was tore out so i got all the rest done just need any and all help with those other 3 wires above thnx bb

StarTech

StarTech

What is the model and type of the Briggs? Post also the model number from the serial number tag of the mower.

B

beachbumtroy

lowes "by yard pro" 18hp/44inch cut......briggs&stratton------off the motor model #422707.....type#1275 01......code#9501125A..................now off the tractor body model # 42517........
serial # 021595C 003272.......... mfg id # 425171 thats all numbers i saw let me kno if u need anything else... thnx bb

R

Romore

The wire from the magneto goes to the G terminal on the switch. Red goes to the + side of the battery. Orange will be a switched unregulated ac circuit used to power lights.

B

beachbumtroy

hey romore,sorry but im confused but dont worry thats natural :)........ theres only 2 wires coming from under flywheel (red&orange) since i dont have lights i should cap off the orange right?
and the red gets constant hot from the battery and not hot from the switch? and the wire u were saying above that goes from the magneto should go to the G on switch that would be the
ground wire coming from coil right? just checking to make sure i`m doing this right? thnx bb

StarTech

StarTech

Yes you can just cap it off as it appears that the dual circuit alternator (stator). If it is the dual circuit the red wire will a diode in the red lead (lump).

If you are using the switch from the Lowers (AYP) 425471 1995 mower then the coil's kill terminal wire goes M (magneto) terminal of the ignition switch and the G (ground) terminal of the ignition goes to ground. Below is the current replacement swithc but the original switch was metal housed.
HUS144921.png
ayp144921.png

B

beachbumtroy

well mine must be the replacement cause its plastic with plastic nut.........so i`m going to run coil wire (black) to m(magneto) and the ground wire from the switch to body ground? if that sounds right to u give me a thumbs up
and i`ll try and let u know what happens tomarrow. thnx bb

StarTech

StarTech

?

B

beachbumtroy

oh one last question for now :) before i hook em up............... i kno the orange gets capped off.......... but is the red constant hot or switch hot? thnx

StarTech

StarTech

Most commonly it is always hot but a few manufacture to switch it . But in this I would say hot all the time. The diode in the lead will prevent battery drain.

B

beachbumtroy

ok thnx i`ll give it a whirl