Help Identifying MTD Tiller withTecumseh 6 HP Engine

acewarner

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help Identifying MTD Tiller withTecumseh 6 HP Engine
Hello,
I have MTD rear tine tiller with a Tecumseh 6.0 HP engine. The model plate is completely gone. The engine model is OHH60 71126C I believe. I have attached pictures for better clarification. The "clutch" cable has broken and I am desperately trying to find a replacement and a manual would be great. Does anyone recognize this one?

Attachments

• Left side view.jpg
    Left side view.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 6
  • right side view.jpg
    right side view.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Engine Model (2).jpg
    Engine Model (2).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 5

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
can you go to a bicycle store and have them match the cable length and end? My tiller was a craftman but the cables were like a bicycle hand brake or derailleur cable. Hand brake is a heavier cable than a derailleur cable.

I found some numbers for you using archive.org going back to the time period in question. The only 6hp unit I could find was a yellow and black one but maybe they also painted some red. It was 448a. At any rate, here is a link to the manual for that unit and a couple others. Maybe you will find what you need in this pdf. It covers all the models listed on their webpages back to 1997. http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/...num=21a410&serial_num=&filename=770-97-6b.pdf

Last edited:

acewarner

Forum Newbie
Threads
can you go to a bicycle store and have them match the cable length and end? My tiller was a craftman but the cables were like a bicycle hand brake or derailleur cable. Hand brake is a heavier cable than a derailleur cable.

I found some numbers for you using archive.org going back to the time period in question. The only 6hp unit I could find was a yellow and black one but maybe they also painted some red. It was 448a. At any rate, here is a link to the manual for that unit and a couple others. Maybe you will find what you need in this pdf. It covers all the models listed on their webpages back to 1997. http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/...num=21a410&serial_num=&filename=770-97-6b.pdf
Wow,
Thanks so much for your detective work. I narrowed down to the 430 model in the manual you shared in the link. I was then able to identify the correct nomenclature for the search. MTD Model 430 Clutch control cable. I don't have the cable completely off but was able to measure it previous to this and it matched up with the length in the manual for confirmation. I found it the cable and I am ordering it now. Thanks Again! :)