Help! Carburetor gushing gasoline! (Kawasaki)

Baloo Boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'm a complete novice just trying to get my JD LX178 (Kawasaki FD440V V-Twin) to run. Many sudden dies and many failures to start except when I poured gas down the throat lead me to just take a guess and install inexpensive new fuel pump and carburetor. Now it will start again only if I pour gas down the throat--but then a whole lot of gasoline comes gushing out some sort of rubber (overflow?) tube off the top of the carburetor!

Like a fool, I didn't take carful note or pictures of how the gas hoses were hooked up to the fuel pump before removing and I'm wondering if I hooked something up backwards? See attached photo.

Or is this a totally defective carburetor (it looked good and identical to original)?

Thanks for you ideas!
_D2N7036.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Check your oil for the smell of gasoline or being above the FULL mark... you may have a defective float needle in the carb.
i would also check to see that if your CHOKE butterfly closes fully in the carburetor when in choke position.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Replace all the fuel lines and clamps. If you ask why, I can provide a link where this guys 0 turn was in a ball of flames. Fuel line doesn't seem to last more than a couple years.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Replace all the fuel lines and clamps. If you ask why, I can provide a link where this guys 0 turn was in a ball of flames. Fuel line doesn't seem to last more than a couple years.

slomo
I've gone to using that Tygon fuel line, supposed to stand up to Ethanol alot better than rubber. No problems yet.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've researched that Tygon line. Seems there is a lot of counterfiet hose out there. Some places offer it up cheap. Some are proud of it and expensive. I'm trying out some plain old vinyl clear tubing from like Home Depot or Ace Hardware. Just that cheap clear hose you can get anywhere. Might be aquarium hose?? Any-hoo, it's been holding gas for two years now. It's on a push mower where I can see it if it was to leak. So far so good. That stuff at Autozone is already cracking on another mower. It was real fuel line for fuel injection. It was Gates or Goodyear hose too.

slomo