HDS 2135 sputters and dies...no idea where to start

Symmetry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey there! I've been renting a property for 5 months now, and it came with an old (I assume - it's certainly older than the Deere the owners replaced it with) Cub Cadet HDS 2135 with a Kohler "Command OHV" 13HP engine (not sure about model number, sorry).

It's been running great the entire time, never a stop or sputter or issue, even on my uneven, slopy property. However, about a month ago, it started to simply die after a while. At first it would run for a few hours and then start sputtering, but more recently it's been running for less than an hour before death. Waiting a while lets it start up and go again, but it stops shortly after that.

I suspect it's a fuel line or fuel delivery issue, so a week or two ago I replaced the oil filter with a brand new one (and good thing, too, it was toast). That helped at first, but then the problem came back with a vengeance.

At this point I can sometimes only run it for 15 minutes. This is putting a serious dent in my lawn care - it's the only mower I have, and I have 2.5 acres of lawn to mow every week.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to diagnose the problem? I live with two roommates/business partners, and the two of them have extensive experience with engines. Any repairs necessary aren't a problem, but I don't know what to do.

Please, if you have any ideas at all, throw them at me! On the other hand, if I'm being a stupid noob, tell me that too (and if you're kind enough, point me to where I should read).

Thanks for any help.
Nigel Fisher

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me that the coil is shorting out when it gets warm. Have them check for spark right after it dies. If no spark replace the coil.