Hayter Harrier 41 VS 375a rear roller assembly problem.

berksboy26

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hayter Harrier 41 VS 375a rear roller assembly problem.
Hi Folks,
I have owned this machine since 2018 when it was purchased new,but,quite quickly the offside (right looking fwd from rear) roller shaft plastic composite bearing failed - noticed first by an ungainly tilt of the machine.
It was repaired under warranty by the dealer at no charge.
It was hardly used during the 2019 cutting season because of the long hot summer with no rain for almost 4 mths.
When I came to use it subsequently this year I noticed on odd occasions that it would slow and stop momentarily with no apparent drive.A few seconds later off it would go again - there was no predictable pattern but it has got gradually worse and more frequent.
I tried contacting the dealer who is currently closed because of the Corvid19 Gov' guidelines.
I tried 2 other dealers with the same result but finally managed to speak to Hayter about the problem who made suggestions but did not really seem to offer any real help.
With no hope of any solution I decided to strip the machine myself and found firstly the chain line between the sprockets at a strange offset angle and after removing same found that the nearside composite bearing in pieces (allowing the roller shaft to migrate outwards).
On removing the rollers,cam drives and thrust washers there was also one of the two drive pins missing and the nearside roller badly damaged where the drive cam fits.
I know not whether that was left off by the original bearing repair, never fitted by Hayter at build or simply fell out once the bearing had failed and the shaft migrated but what is astonishing is why a brand new machine has broken so quickly.
I have ordered new parts from 2 internet sources as apparently Hayter only sell parts through their dealer network - which is all but shut down! - but I am enquireing on this forum to ask if any body else has had this problem and how easy it is to reassemble a Chinese puzzle - any help/suggestions much appreciated in advance.
Alan

berksboy26

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hayter Harrier 41 VS 375a rear roller assembly problem.
Hi and thanks for replying,
I do have that document which came with the machine.
The problem will come in assembly because the roller frame is welded and cannot be split.
Not sure how you can retain the drive cams,thrust washers and insert the drive keys at the same time (items 29,30 and 35) - the roller ends are deep seated and it was difficult enough stripping it out even with one drive key missing.
I will keep you posted after contacting Hayter again on Monday and once the spare parts have arrived.
Best
Alan