having a spark problem with my jd 240 tractor

professor

Forum Newbie
Threads
my brother in-law gave me his old john deere tractor240,it has a kaw.fc420v motor in it the tractor is in great shape he keep it in the garage all the time it looks like new 48 in cutting deck,the problem is the spark comes and gos,I have cleaned carb, gas tank,and put new fuel lines on it when it trys to start it backfires out the exhaust and carb at the same time pulled plug out to watch the spark it puts out little or no spark at all ,checked value lash its ok.it has a trigger coil or switch on it. any help is welcome.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, it is usually the igniter and Oregon makes a good replacement for @ $20, any mower shop should carry one.

professor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, it is usually the igniter and Oregon makes a good replacement for @ $20, any mower shop should carry one.

is that the little box with 1 wire hook to it that gos to the coil ? is the white wire supposed to have 12 volts on it or omhs? out of no where this thing started up on a backfire and ran for 15 min. Ishut it off and now all it does is backfire.pow pow pow

slboies

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 240 did the same thing last spring and that was the problem. At least it is a cheap part to buy as long as you don't get it from a Deere dealer. Yes it is the little box.