Attachments Have Gravely ZT HD 60 and need to pick up leaves

Tindal

Threads
I'm thinking about just taking the mulching kit off for the growing season. I mow our horse pastures with ours too and they get pretty thick where the horses do their thing. I think I can mow the pastures one more time this season and I can make my decision for the Spring then

Yes , I keep mine on all the time , although when i miss a cutting and the grass gets a real tall it will slow you down a little . I took the chute off . Now I can get close to things on both sides. It's not worth the hassle to take it off and on . I just leave it on .

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tindal,
I noticed you list a Husqvarna as your mower. What year & model do you have, how many hours do you have on it and how pleased are you with it? I "almost" got the high-end residential model MZ5424S when I first started looking. The Mulch kit I bought at Sears for the Craftsman 54" YS4500(made by Husqvarna) would have fit the ZTR. I ended up deciding to spend a little more and get an entry level commercial ZTR.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mine never comes off. You like how you lawn looks through out the summer. Just make sure that you don't cut wet.

Tindal

Threads
Tindal,
I noticed you list a Husqvarna as your mower. What year & model do you have, how many hours do you have on it and how pleased are you with it? I "almost" got the high-end residential model MZ5424S when I first started looking. The Mulch kit I bought at Sears for the Craftsman 54" YS4500(made by Husqvarna) would have fit the ZTR. I ended up deciding to spend a little more and get an entry level commercial ZTR.

I have the MZ 6128 , it has hydrogear 3400 drives , 28 hp 61 inch cut ,fab deck , I can cut at 10 mph and it looks good . I paid 5000.00 for it , I buy gator blades at agri supply for 11.00 each X 3 = 33.00 per set . I get about 50 hours per set of blades . and thats a lot of grass, I have had mine going on 2 years and im well pleased , I would buy again , no regrets at all.also theres no choke to deal with and thats a great feature.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the MZ 6128 , it has hydrogear 3400 drives , 28 hp 61 inch cut ,fab deck , I can cut at 10 mph and it looks good . I paid 5000.00 for it , I buy gator blades at agri supply for 11.00 each X 3 = 33.00 per set . I get about 50 hours per set of blades . and thats a lot of grass, I have had mine going on 2 years and im well pleased , I would buy again , no regrets at all.also theres no choke to deal with and thats a great feature.
Yep, I think you got a keeper there!!! And a good price for the features you have(the MZ5424S had a stamped deck, the ZT3100 trannie and a 24hp Kawi engine). For $1,000 less it still would have been a good mower for the money. I simply got the 'commercial fever" after I looked at the Toros, Dixons, Bad Boys & Gravelys and like you I have no regrets whatsoever going with the Gravely I bought. One of the Bad Boys had the "chokeless" engine(I think it was a 31hp B & S Cyclonic) and I was a little "leary of that". Good to hear it's not prone to problems!! Maybe more engine manufacturers will go to that feature.

Jhon

Threads
For you guys that mulch your leaves....

I have a lot of leaves. It ranges from ankle high to knee high in spots. I haul out multiple trailer loads of chopped leaves three or four times in the fall and I only have a 3/4 acre lot. (That includes my house, garage, outbuildings and pool). I just can not comprehend that leaving so many leaves will not harm my lawn.

In the summer I use mulching blades and a plug but in the fall I switch to Hi Lift blades and my bagger. I have a conventional lawn tractor.
Will mulching be a option for me, or will I kill my grass with too much acid oak trees?

PJ

Threads
Our new mower is just doing wonderfully but fall is coming. We have a lot of trees that drop a huge lot of leaves. Our dealer doesn't recommend towing anything behind it but does say the recommended bagger should pick up our leaves well. It cost over a thousand dollars so I don't want to buy it unless it will really do the job. What is the consensus on that? Thanks for any advice. Kenny R

I had the same situation I purchasesd the bagger for my JD X140 results as follow. Pick up leaves good. Grass suck up while mowing not so good it does vacuum dry leaves and grass when dry. It can easely block if the load is high but if the vacuum pipe is kept clean good results.

Hope I helped
Regards
PJ

Tindal

Threads
I have old growth on 3 sides with pines in front . I have to mulch leaves around the old growth a couple of times a week so as the leaves don't get to thick .I haven't had a problem with leaves killing my centipede and st .Augustine grass. MULCH the only way to deal with leaves !!!

snapsstorer

Threads
i had a big country yard that when the leave's fell, i just mow over them and left them lay where they blew to. it was great mulch for the next year. now living in town here, much smaller yard, i mulched and bagged them, put them in a pile, mulched the pile and repeated the process a third time. my pile was reduced to 1/10th to 1/12th the size it was. also the pile was more prepared mulch, will not have the big pile of leave's next spring. used the mulching around the 4 trees i planted in the yard this year. :thumbsup::smile::thumbsup: