hard starting series 3000 Cub

moses2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had replaced a starter that was intermittent with a 'refurbished' unit. It worked initially, though didn't sound right. Not like the one that I had replaced, when it had worked properly. It turned over slower, and just sounded tired. A couple months went by, and then the starter would not engage the ring gear, but you could hear the pinion spinning, a little slower at first, then it would ramp up. Just spinning freely. I put a jump box on it, and after a few minutes the starter would engage the ring gear (though the starter still sounded wrong.) Thinking it maybe the battery now, I replaced it. Should have run some tests first, but didn't. I was just soooo sure, you know. Foolish. New battery, same problem. I need to put a jumpbox on it in order to get the starter to engage the ring gear. Other than the starter being defective, are there any other things I should look at?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
post engine make & all numbers from engine, you need to adjust valves with engine cold

Tyy

Threads
Yes , sounds very much like a hard starting Briggs Intek due to improper valve lash adjustment .