Hard start

gregjo1948

Threads
Small Poulan chainsaw with new fuel, new plug, and new carb. Adjusted new carb so it ran very good at idle and top end but it is hard to get running. Has a primer bulb and a choke. Label says to press bulb 6 times for cold start. I've tried no priming to 8 pumps with choke and without choke. I've tried different throttle settings also. It has good compression and spark but just doesn't like to start up. What is the secret to starting these little Poulans. I have a larger and older Poulan that starts fine if I run it about every other day but, let it set three days and it's also a hard starter. I'm thinking these saws are meant to be boat anchors.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank the EPA for hard starts in 2 cycle engine.

Was it a new OEM Poulan carb?
Fuel filter and lines need replaced?
Spark plug need replaced?
Good spark?
Muffler spark arrestor clogged? Remove the muffler. Take out the window screen spark arrestor. Throw it in the garbage UNLESS you are in the forest logging. For a homeowner or lawn crew guy, discard it.
Shake/swirl your fuel can EVERY TIME you fill up.
Air filter plugged up?
Vacuum leaks at carb?

slomo

gregjo1948

Threads
Yes oem carb---lines and filter replaced---new plug---good spark----always shake the fuel---new air filter---I'll remove the spark arrestor. thanks for your reply, gregjo1948

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can try to richen the idle circuit screw slightly. Check that the choke closes all the way. The bulb is not a primer but rather an air purge. You can pump it a hundred times it won't add fuel to the mixture. If the saw runs fine once it starts the exhaust is not clogged. Not a big fan of Poulan saws myself.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had replacement carburetors where the choke plate has to be modified to work properly. Sometimes to add more choking and other times less choking. I had one machine where the old carburetor wasn't choking enough and the new OEM replacement was over choking. Actually the new carb was flooding the engine on the very first pull but yet the engine wouldn't start with the choke half off.

Poulan saws are not that bad once you figure what they are needing to work properly.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
A buddy at work had a Poulan saw. He ran it for 15 years with no issues. Think the coil died and was no longer made. Finally had to junk the saw. That thing had zero maintenance I bet. He is a slob LOL.

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had replacement carburetors where the choke plate has to be modified to work properly. Sometimes to add more choking and other times less choking. I had one machine where the old carburetor wasn't choking enough and the new OEM replacement was over choking. Actually the new carb was flooding the engine on the very first pull but yet the engine wouldn't start with the choke half off.

Poulan saws are not that bad once you figure what they are needing to work properly.
I call this series of saws the cockroaches of saws and they always have the same problems. Swollen gas cap and rotten fuel lines and bad seals and bad air filters
poulan-pro-chainsaw-55-green-lane-pa-americanlisted_28034541.jpg

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most of those issues are age related. Fuel line doesn't last any more.

slomo