Hands Free Toro Personal Pace

deriter

Threads
I have a toro personal pace lawn mower. Earlier I had a toro super recycler that I had a shoestring tied around the handle bar and the lever that drives the lawn mower or shut it off if the lever released too far. I had the shoe string tied so that I could let loose of the handle bar and lever and the mower would just sit and idle or stay stationary. If I wanted to shut it off, I'd just slide the shoestring to the side and let go of the lever and it would shut off. Worked great for 30 years.
I went to do this with the personal pace and that won't work because this is made differently. Velcrow is all that I can think of for this. Not very impressed with this. It is so agraviting to have to shut the mower off just to move something out of the way and then restarting it. I know its a safety feature but it isn't always necessary in my way of thinking.
Any ideas or do I just live with it?

gotomow

Threads
Google "Bungee Cord with Toggle Ball"
These are used to secure tarps and such. The nice thing is the cord can be cut and tied for proper length

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can thank two guys in New Jersey for the auto-kill features on today’s mowers. They decided to trim the hedge between their properties by lifting a mower up while running and proceeded to cut several fingers off their hands. Sued the manufacturer and won because of no warnings. Warning decals and safety kills followed. This one you have to blame on a couple of idiots, not engineers.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a zip tie. Have to get it on the exact click sizewise. Make sure you are fully holding the dead man bail lever back to keep the engine running. And of course loose enough to kill the engine. Some people bailing wire this cable to the mowing position. Then remove the cable and bail slash dead man lever. I hate holding onto all those levers. Like on Hondas, they have 14 levers to hold and a button to push to turn the blade on. It's a freaking lawn mower not the space shuttle. (y)

slomo

deriter

Threads
Ok, so I had some zip ties laying around and decided to try one. There is a very fine point for running and not running for the bail, but I got it pretty close. Sometimes when I slide the zip tie to the side it keeps running. Just a very light push to the bail and it shut off. Thanks slomo and gotomow for your help. I just knew there would be a way around this contraption.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, so I had some zip ties laying around and decided to try one. There is a very fine point for running and not running for the bail, but I got it pretty close. Sometimes when I slide the zip tie to the side it keeps running. Just a very light push to the bail and it shut off. Thanks slomo and gotomow for your help. I just knew there would be a way around this contraption.
As I stated, that zip tie has to be the PERFECT size to hold the bail and keep the engine running. Also to slide it away and kill the engine.

Make sure the bail is close enough to the bar to nut allow the engine brake to activate slightly. You will tell if the revs drop pretty good. Think there might be a rough 1" gap between the PP push bar and the lever.

slomo