GT1554 20 amp fuse blows as soon as it’s in

bzika45

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve got a GT1554 that has been running fine, then quit the other day. No click, display, lights or anything. Had the battery tested and it’s good. Found that the 20 amp fuse was blown. Got a new one and as soon as it connected, it blew. Tried unhooking the plug to the ignition switch, the lights and a few others. Still blowing fuses. I tested the fuse holder with a voltmeter and it’s showing 12-13 all the time. Not sure what else to try. Looked for frayed or exposed wires and haven’t been able to find anything yet. Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated! Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like you got a 2008 mode. Disconnect the engine's stator (alternator) and retry. Older models the stator and fuel solenoid only received power once the ignition is turn on but 2008 model the stator is hot all the time.
If it still blows the fuse then you have a short in the wiring harness.

bzika45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alternator in one of our cars is pretty straightforward. For the lawn tractor, where do I disconnect the power going to it? At the ignition modules that the spark plugs connect to or remove the wire at the connector where the wires from the engine connect to the wires from the battery and ignition plug?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The engine make, model, and spec numbers to more directive but disconnecting it is at the engine harness. It might be just plugging the voltage regulator or other connector but I need to which engine it has. My first is base on the wiring diagram which is never has 100% of components listed with some OEMs.

bzika45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler Courage 27.
SV740S-0010

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay this engine a voltage regular before the stator. It has a three terminal connector; side of engine. Unplug it and test. Suspect it is shorted as I had several bad Kohler voltage regulators this Spring here.