Grinding noise from back axle when engaging drive

charleneje

Threads
  • / Grinding noise from back axle when engaging drive
Bought new January 2014 Craftsman YT3000, 21HP, 46" cut, Model 91728852, engine B&S Platinum 331977. I have had alot of trouble with this mower from new one thing after another earlier this year it was the engine.
This started the last couple of times I mowed I went to use it to pick up leaves, but it would not back out of the shed all I got was a fine grinding sound when I tried to engage reverse, I dragged it out of shed after using the disengage transmission clip in the back of the mower trouble is it didn't disengage, I had to drag it out with the wheels locked and not turning, I finally got it out to where I could engage my yard tractor to it a little Sears/Craftsman trailer started it up and even though it made some grinding noise it still went forwards but the rear axle made mild grinding noise if I touched the forward/reverse gearstick I got one load of leaves but didn't do any more I didn't want to do anymore damage.
Any suggestions I have not done anything to it I just parked it I cannot afford a new rear axle which is what it seems to be suggesting to me and besides as much trouble as I have had with this mower even if I could afford a new rear axle, I don't think I would be inclined to buy one especially as I have heard Craftsman stopped making these particular mowers because of continuous problems with them.
Happy Christmas everyone or whatever the holiday it is you celebrate this time of year!! :)

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the disc parking brake on the side of the tranny is completely releasing. Stuck parking brake will cause grinding and growling noises.

charleneje

Threads
Make sure the disc parking brake on the side of the tranny is completely releasing. Stuck parking brake will cause grinding and growling noises.
Thank you I will check that out