Greenworks Twin Force Mower - will it work with St. Augustine grass?

opto_isolator

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Greenworks Twin Force Mower - will it work with St. Augustine grass?
We live in Orlando FL. Florida is known for having St. Augustine grass in a lot of places. I'm looking for a battery powered mower for our 1/2 acre property. From what I see the twin force mower looks like it may work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks!

MowerMike

Threads
We live in Orlando FL. Florida is known for having St. Augustine grass in a lot of places. I'm looking for a battery powered mower for our 1/2 acre property. From what I see the twin force mower looks like it may work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks!

Well, it will definitely work with St. Augustine, since that is what we have here in North Texas. This mower has a clever variable power feature, where it automatically increases the speed of the blades when it encounters harder cutting conditions, such as St. Augustine. The problem is that it also drains the batteries faster under these conditions, which reduces run time, and with a property your size you will probably not be able to complete mowing on a single battery charge.

RatRacer

Threads

thanks!

Wow! I'm all for the being green when it comes to dealing with a good looking yard, but pushing a 1/2 acre of St. Aug. is too much one on one lawn time in my book. It takes me 45 min's with a 42in Deere tractor to do my 1/2 acre of Floritam, and god forbid I miss a week during rainy season, then it's 1/2 speed or cut row. I'm going with fossil for fast (10mph) for the bulk of cut, and electric for house framing, swale crowns, string trimming, edging and blowing off. Goal is 40mins. or less for the whole shebang, with 20mins of exhaust fumes, solo.

This is my green approach: speed. But it costs.
I'll admit I'm ignorant to the capabilities of electric mowers nowadays doing this much work, but I do smoke (vape) with a Li-Ion battery while cutting, to alleviate fumes and my health.:rolleyes:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
It's a 20 inch width - actual width less.

If your lawn is now being cut with a 20 inch gasser - and takes longer than about an hour - you would need to purchase another battery at least to use this mower. 2 more batteries and a second charger might be required. that gets into $$$$$ with a battery being $119 or so. Buying the G-MAX string trimmer gets you another charger and battery.

1/2 acre is really too large for this mower - unless you could split the work across 2 days. 1/3 acre is probably pushing it for lawn size. And that assumes a well manicured (not overgrown and filled with weeds and debris) lawn where only about 1/3 the length of the grass blade is being removed.