Gravely ZTX42 battery size

rsu11

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 4 year old ZTX42 with a 22hp Kohler which will likely need a new battery soon. The battery in it now is small, essentially a motorcycle battery. It's much smaller than the battery tray will allow. Also, occasionally when turning the key, the starter will engage but not crank the engine. A second try usually gets it turning. The parts manual shows a 190cca battery, which seems a bit low to me. Has anyone put a larger battery in their Gravely/Ariens, and if so, which group size?

Hossfly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes my original small battery gave up after 6 years, original battery. Couldn’t really understand why such a small battery, but it lasted quite a while. Installed a used AGM for a power chair, filled the holder and bolted down perfectly. Believe its 90 CCA still cranks fine. Keep battery maintainer on it through winter, but winter is a joke here in Louisiana. Usually run the mower year round.

Joes6353

Forum Newbie
Threads
Small battery can be replaced with a U1RH, fits correctly in the holder, and at 300 CCA, spins the engine just fine. Just replaced mine this year, after 6 yrs of use. The hold down has a label that a U1 is optional.

rsu11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. I made a note of that battery size.