Gravely ZT 60HD Starter solenoid

bartletts

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a 2017(?) ZT 60HD from a friend. He had replaced the battery (with the wrong one) which tests good but will not charge with motor running. I replaced the voltage regulator and get about 35v on the AC terminals and about 17 volts DC out. However, I don't see this voltage back at the battery terminals (12.7 v at battery). I found that one of the top terminals on the solenoid is lose and just spins when I try to tighten the nut. I will be replacing the solenoid. The broken terminal appears to have the wire that would send the charging voltage back to the battery but it is connected to the starter. I believe the previous owner wired things wrong.

Can somebody please tell me wiring layout for a solenoid (top terminals)? Facing from the left side of the mower (front of the solenoid) the top left terminal has a small red wire (fused) and the larger gage red wire to the battery. The right terminal has a large red wire to the starter and a smaller purple wire (fused) from the voltage regulator. I think the smaller wires are reversed? If not, charging voltage from the regulator cannot get to the battery.

Also, I can't find correct battery specifications. I would appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I recently bought a 2017(?) ZT 60HD from a friend. He had replaced the battery (with the wrong one) which tests good but will not charge with motor running. I replaced the voltage regulator and get about 35v on the AC terminals and about 17 volts DC out. However, I don't see this voltage back at the battery terminals (12.7 v at battery). I found that one of the top terminals on the solenoid is lose and just spins when I try to tighten the nut. I will be replacing the solenoid. The broken terminal appears to have the wire that would send the charging voltage back to the battery but it is connected to the starter. I believe the previous owner wired things wrong.

Can somebody please tell me wiring layout for a solenoid (top terminals)? Facing from the left side of the mower (front of the solenoid) the top left terminal has a small red wire (fused) and the larger gage red wire to the battery. The right terminal has a large red wire to the starter and a smaller purple wire (fused) from the voltage regulator. I think the smaller wires are reversed? If not, charging voltage from the regulator cannot get to the battery.

Also, I can't find correct battery specifications. I would appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
The only wire that should be connected to the terminal going to the starter is the large red wire going to the starter.. Everything else should be connected to the other terminal.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As IL said the only wire going to starter side of the solenoid is the large cable. If the alternator is connected on that side the battery will not as the solenoid is just like a big light switch that turn on when starting. The small wire from the alternator/voltage regulator goes on the side that goes to the battery's positive post.

Note: To keep from destroying the new solenoid use two wrenches to tight these cable mounting nuts. Usually one wrench open end has to be thinned to hold the lower nut. Also note this is a 7/16" / 11mm wrench. The top can be either 7/16" or 1/2" depending on the solenoid.