Gravely 42Zt Burns Grass

NEgravely

Threads
Hi. I'm new to the forum so thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I just bought a Gravely ZT42 with a 23 hp Kawasaki engine. I noticed that while becoming familiar with the controls a pause to long in one area will cause the lawn to burn. It's not noticeable at first but the next day I can see exactly the areas that I paused to long in. And let me add its only takes a few seconds. I notice that the muffler is at the bottom of the engine just below frame level and the cooling air pours down from the engine over the exhaust down to the grass. I have fabricated a heat shield below the muffler which has a back lip a couple of inches high to keep the heat off the hydraulic drive motors also. I now turn off the mower every time I get off to go through a gate or remove a toy from the lawn which can be irritating and I'm not sure if its good to so quickly stop and start a hot engine.
Has anyone else had this problem and what do you do about it? The dealer say normal but it seems like a leaf fire in the fall could be a big problem.

Other than that I like the mower but hate brown spots.

Thanks,

Mike

wildbill

Threads
The assumption that you bought a new mower says:
If the grass can get a burn spot after sitting for ANY time period is a HUGE concern of safety.

I would take the mower back and demand a 100% refund. There has to be a design problem or the vendor left off something. If the dealer balks, call your local fire marshal and show him the problem. It just happens to be against the law:thumbdown: to sell an item that is unsafe to use. Just a little advertisement will go a long way........

NEgravely

Threads
Yup, I think your right. I'm going to call Gravely first then deal with the place that sold it to see if the facts match. Just didn't know if this was common like the dealer said and I figured this was a good place to start the investigation. With the thousands of zero turns sold I figured someone else on this forum would haave encountered the same problem.

Thanks

NEgravely

Threads
Just called Gravely and what do you know a heat shield is sold by them for this problem. Customer service said that it was the Kohler engines causing this problem. I don't see how a Kohler can run any hotter than a Kawasaki. Anyway, called the dealer who is looking into the problem and the solution of the heat shield with part # from Gravely. They seem receptive and willing to help.

Thanks,

Mike

possum

Threads
Seems like Cub Cadet had the same trouble awhile back on here. Nice touch of selling a heat sheild to solve a problem they know about but have not told the dealers or the owners about, or have installed to prevent the problem.

NEgravely

Threads
That seems to be the case with alot of things these days. They want to save a few bucks and see if you will complain. I'm hoping they still have the part. When I looked online it said discontinued. Now I'll let the dealer handle it. They have went to bat for me before with Gravely so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

alienball

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Ariens (owned by Gravely) and the exact same problem on my 2350. Do you have a part # for the heat shield. Could you post a pic? thanks

NEgravely

Threads
I do have the part #. I will find it and get back to you later today or tomorrow.

Freedom1955

Threads
This thread is very interesting to me because I just bought a Toro ZT with a Kawasaki engine and I have the same problem with the burning grass issue:thumbdown:.
I guess I'll contact Toro and my Dealer and see what they have to say about this issue.

NEgravely

Threads
The part number is 71512900 Heat shield. I did modify it some with metal flashing which helps direct the heat out the sides and away from the hydraulic motors and bagger unit. I can know leave the mower running over the most tender grass with no issues.