Grasshopper 722d PTO Clutch acting weird

mrsmart180

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, I have a 2006 722d with a PTO Clutch that acts weird. A couple months ago when I was mowing the blades used to stall out and stop spinning so I had to sit and wait until they came back on and the problem got worse over time. Whenever I start my mower now and pull the PTO switch at full throttle the blades don't engage and nothing really happens. I had it sitting for a month because I got frustrated and couldn't figure out what was wrong but I got it back out recently and the PTO Clutch engaged the first time I pulled it again at full throttle and I went to go mow but the blades just stopped spinning after a while and I kept pulling out and pushing the PTO Clutch in to see if they would engage again but they wouldn't. I checked all of my fuses but they were fine. I spent a lot of time looking at the electrical diagram and messed with the safety switches on the 2 levers and noticed my left one wasn't "clicking" and I replaced it today. On the back of my engine I was trying to unplug the cable that goes into the clutch (I think thats what it is) but I pulled out one of the prongs inside the outlet because it melted to one of the prongs on the cable so I can't really test to see if changing the lever switch worked. Does anyone know how I can fix the prongs on the clutch on the back of my engine? and does anyone know why my PTO clutch is acting so strange? I can give some more information if its needed. Thank you.

4getgto

Threads
Sounds as though you need a new plug at your electric clutch to start with if you say they're melted or burnt. My PTO switch is probably the same as yours and I replaced mine once already.
Very possible your electric clutch is bad or going bad and would explain your wires being burnt.
Again I'd start by repairing plug connection at the clutch first and go from there..

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would also make sure the resistance reading on the clutch is around 2.3-3.3 ohms or close to those readings and if it is the triangle shaped clutch with the nuts and the springs make sure the air gap is adjusted to .012-.016 between the spinning plates through the slots next to the springs.

arto_wa

Forum Newbie
Threads
..................zip...................... Whenever I start my mower now and pull the PTO switch at full throttle ...............zip....................

It will not solve the problem you are having, but I think it will save lot of wear and tear in future if you just slow down the engine some from "full throttle" before engaging the PTO clutch and rev it up to full speed after that!

I replaced worn out clutch last year, after about 1650 hours of use.

These guys specialize on PTO clutches and are worth checking out for comparison to OEM :
https://xtremeope.com/

Last edited: