Grasshopper 721D soft plug heater question

grasshopper721d

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new to the Forum and checking in for the first time.

I'm the second owner of a Grasshopper 721D. The previous owner babied it and it's a beauty. However, it will no longer be stored in a climate controlled shop as before, but outside in the cold, at least for a season. I'm concerned about cold starting a diesel and plan to install a soft plug heater. One seller on e-bay offers these for $50 shipped. But before I buy, I wanted some input from the forum if anyone knows which model number Katz heater is the correct one for the Kubota model 722-E diesel engine in this machine?

Anyone have experience installing the Katz soft plug heater in a 721D?

For instance, which soft plug does Grasshopper suggest the heater be installed?

What is the best method to remove the soft plug?

What wattage heater does Grasshopper recommend? I live in IA where OATs can reach 25 degrees below zero and this machine MUST start so I can blow the snow.

A local man suggested using a magnetic oil pan heater. Does anyone have experience with one of these and how it performs compared to a soft plug heater? Has anyone tried both?

I can't find a Grasshopper part number for a soft plug heater. Does anybody know if Grasshopper offers a specific part number for a Katz soft plug heater?

Thanks

BWH

Threads
My 721 is a gas Kubota engine but I do have experience with a Kubota diesel in my Bobcat S185 skid loader. I followed the instructions that Kubota puts out for engine heaters and on this particular diesel they had me remove the front soft plug on the very front of the engine. I removed it by driving a chisel through the plug an just twisting it out. (very easy)

As far as wattage your Grasshopper dealer should be able to help you with that most likely give you a part number. If not you could get ahold of a Kubota dealer with your engine number and they also would be able to help you out.

In my experience with my Bobcat it was very easy and took all of 20 minutes with most the time draining down and refilling the anti-freeze.

Hustling

Threads
My 721 is a gas Kubota engine but I do have experience with a Kubota diesel in my Bobcat S185 skid loader. I followed the instructions that Kubota puts out for engine heaters and on this particular diesel they had me remove the front soft plug on the very front of the engine. I removed it by driving a chisel through the plug an just twisting it out. (very easy)

As far as wattage your Grasshopper dealer should be able to help you with that most likely give you a part number. If not you could get ahold of a Kubota dealer with your engine number and they also would be able to help you out.

In my experience with my Bobcat it was very easy and took all of 20 minutes with most the time draining down and refilling the anti-freeze.

Seems like the Katz Silicone Pad Heaters are getting good reviews. I may try one of these. Anyone using one of these?

Kat's 150 Watt Silicone Pad Heater — Model# 24150 | Engine Heaters Blankets| Northern Tool + Equipment

JUST4FUN

Threads
I used a 721D for snow blowing, the real problem is how thick the oil is ,also the battery will be a problem it almost always has to have a tricklel charge too keep it toped off. Make sure the glow plugs are all in top condition. heat the oil not the antifreeze

Hustling

Threads
I used a 721D for snow blowing, the real problem is how thick the oil is ,also the battery will be a problem it almost always has to have a tricklel charge too keep it toped off. Make sure the glow plugs are all in top condition. heat the oil not the antifreeze

Yes, I need to get a trickle charger, I understand Harbor freight has them pretty cheap.

JUST4FUN

Threads
trickle charger or a maintainer that charges 1 amp or under (float charge ) over an amp will boil a battery and it will gas