Grasshopper 718 Predator 22HP Swap Complete

matt707

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I am new to the forum and just wanted to share my project. I purchased my 718 used in 2016 with 630 hours on it. It had the Vanguard 18hp engine that worked ok til I got it out this spring. I was bringing it in for Spring tune up and it threw a rod. The machine now has 770 hours on it and it is still in very good shape. I kicked around the idea of buying a replacement vanguard but, a friend mentioned that the Predator 22HP from Harbor Freight might be a better choice?? I like to tinker so, I purchased the Predator. This was a relatively easy swap. Crankshaft height and diameter are the same as the Briggs. I had to buy a flywheel adaptor from Performance 670 for around $70 and a new ( Longer ) throttle and choke cable for $25.00. The Predator is a bigger engine but, fits on the 718 easily. I will attach some photos below

Attachments

• 20210509_182040.jpg
    20210509_182040.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210507_141727.jpg
    20210507_141727.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 48

ran

Threads
Hello,
I am new to the forum and just wanted to share my project. I purchased my 718 used in 2016 with 630 hours on it. It had the Vanguard 18hp engine that worked ok til I got it out this spring. I was bringing it in for Spring tune up and it threw a rod. The machine now has 770 hours on it and it is still in very good shape. I kicked around the idea of buying a replacement vanguard but, a friend mentioned that the Predator 22HP from Harbor Freight might be a better choice?? I like to tinker so, I purchased the Predator. This was a relatively easy swap. Crankshaft height and diameter are the same as the Briggs. I had to buy a flywheel adaptor from Performance 670 for around $70 and a new ( Longer ) throttle and choke cable for $25.00. The Predator is a bigger engine but, fits on the 718 easily. I will attach some photos below
Does it make good power and every thing work alright? Thanks for sharing thats interesting.

Jpope101

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m doing the same thing same model same engine have any tips, try to turn it over last night pto shaft snapped off the flywheel and engine won’t stay running think I have a wire crossed any tips would be nice thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do those Predator engines have spare parts we can buy? Or do you need a cousin that lives in China to get them for us?

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do those Predator engines have spare parts we can buy? Or do you need a cousin that lives in China to get them for us?

slomo
The first reason why they are so cheap is they are assembled in CHina
The second reason is they have no warehouse in the USA for either engines nor parts sucking up profits made on whole engines so they are a parracite feeding off Honda who do have a very expensive warehouse full of parts to keep their customers engines running.
SO the only spares are the ones that HF order with the new engines .
Welcome to the brave new world of retail .