Governor vane set set up

dfarr67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, new to forum, searched elsewhere but my question is not 100% answered. 90's era Gold 2 stroke 10400 series 4.5hp commercial, one piece plastic card (as opposed to two piece with separate filter housing) tore this apart for the first time and need an initial setting for the governor vane spring. Other reading suggests with throttle on lowest speed the butterfly should just be able to hold itself open while sliding forward to full throttle the spring tension increases the hold open. ??

Milanomike

Threads
I just sort of went thru this on my mower as the spring got accidently knocked off while mowing under a spruce tree. I would just set it at say 4 clicks from fastest setting, get it to run, then use tach of some sort to measure RPM. Then turn faster or slower to get to correct speed. Manual for your model will tell you speed, my was 3100 - 3300 rpm on fastest setting. I used an old dwell tach and divided rpm by 2 for the 2 stroke motor (thanks to tip i got here or somewhere).

Mike

dfarr67

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK thanks- you tach did it clip over the plug wire?

dfarr67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Couple things I noticed on this machine. There are three engine to deck mounting bolts, under the rear two there are washers, you see this on other machines? also in the carb there are two blanks that block off the mounting screw holes- fine, but this one didn't come with a plastic air deflector over the bore of the throttle body.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Are you talking about the cover on the air filter box? If you are, I've found that it doesn't make a difference; the air coming in the bottom is enough. BTW, it's a carburetor, not a throttle body. Throttle bodies only let air in (no fuel mixture) and are on fuel injected engines.

dfarr67

Forum Newbie
Threads
No- in the box, illustrations look like a tab over the carb mouth.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
It's hard to figure out exactly where you are talking about. Now it sounds like you are comparing the parts of a metal carb to the parts on the plastic carb. The plastic carb illustration doesn't show a choke vane ("valve-choke' in the parts manual), but the metal carb illustration does. I don't have the exact manual for your mower, I am comparing my1984 and 1989 parts manuals. Sorry, looks like I can't help.

dfarr67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Think I can find a pic now? It doesn't really matter- most of the carbs I see or have owned never had the deflector only saw a few. with the foam filter out you see each mounting screw holes have plastic plugs- some carbs had a deflector that perhaps was meant so the foam filter would not be pulled into the carb throat, some were one piece that included the two scre hole plugs.