Governor adjustment help requested

tengineer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, new member here.

My 4-year old Toro recycler mower, model 20374, SN 316000511, wouldn't start when I went to use it a week ago. After fiddling around a while, I finally figured out that, for some reason, the choke wasn't closing enough to allow it to start. My mower has the autochoke system, so there's no primer bulb available. Since I don't have 3 hands, I clamped the blade-control bar to the handle, pushed and held the top of the governor arm to the left to close the choke and pushed the electric start button. It started right up.

Presumably something has changed or shifted between last year and this year as regards the governor linkage, but it's not obvious to me where and how. It doesn't look like like the governors I see in some of the youtube videos that have the BS engine, so I'm not sure what to adjust. My mower has the Toro TXP 159cc OHV engine which I understand is a Chinese version.

A photo of the linkage is below and it was taken with the mower cold. The position shown is the normal unpowered position and it's holding the choke open too much to allow it to start, so if I push the top of the vertical arm about 1/4 to 3/8" to the left, it will close the choke and I can start the engine. If I don't hold it in that position while cranking the starter, that vertical spring just above the label pulls the lever back to the position shown in the photo and opens the choke too much.

Unfortunately all my local repair shops are closed since they weren't considered "essential services" but right now they seem essential to me since I'd like to have a properly functioning mower again!

Any help or suggestions on how to tweak this system to get things back into realignment would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_0348.JPG

D

Deleted member 99482

Ran into a similar problem with my Aeriens snowblower, although it started it contuied to surge. I moved the spring to the next hole and it increased the RPM and got rid of the surging. It's important to not over rev the engine so be careful there. I bought a digital RPM counter and easily attached to the spark plug to verify RPM's weren't going above the manufactureres guidelines. Most likely my adjustment would void the warranty, but a chance I took. You may also be able to loosen the nut holding the governor arm and adjust the governor to where it will start and then tighten the nut.