Gently Used SCAG vs New Exmark

cgpilot12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone! Hoping to get your advice on which route I should go. My dad has a 2017 SCAG Turf Tiger II 61” with a 35HP Vanguard and only has 150 original hours that he bought brand new. I can buy that rig from him for $8,500. I’m also considering an Exmark Lazer Z E series 60” cut with either the Kawasaki or Koehler engine and can buy new for $8,499 or $7,649 respectively. I live on a small farm and the mower will be used for personal use. Which would you choose? If the Exmark, which motor? Thanks for your help!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That Scag is one heck of a machine and that's about half price of new. And you know the machine and it's care. Give ole dad a big hug and $8000.

cgpilot12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice! Anyone else?

gainestruk

Threads
I would also say the Scag, that Vanguard engine is very solid, 150 hrs in nothing, like Tom3 said you know the history, keep up with maintenance and it will give you many years of great service.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just curious, why is your Dad selling such a new machine ?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would also add that I'm somewhat on the fence on the new machines' engines. Had really good luck with Kohlers over the years, not so much with the Kawasaki motors, both on implements and motorcycles. Seems like they always have a "better idea" that winds up failing and costing a lot of money to fix, mostly with ignitions and electricals, but other people seem to really like them.

Donr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone! Hoping to get your advice on which route I should go. My dad has a 2017 SCAG Turf Tiger II 61” with a 35HP Vanguard and only has 150 original hours that he bought brand new. I can buy that rig from him for $8,500. I’m also considering an Exmark Lazer Z E series 60” cut with either the Kawasaki or Koehler engine and can buy new for $8,499 or $7,649 respectively. I live on a small farm and the mower will be used for personal use. Which would you choose? If the Exmark, which motor? Thanks for your help!
First of all like stated before 150 hours on Dad's scag is nothing and you know the history and I'm sure he maintained it. 35HP is alot power for a 61" mower. Sharpen the blades, check the belts and most important add grease to every zerk fitting (don't forget the blade spindles) Give Dad the money and thank him for the deal!