Gear shift is off by one gear and hard time shifting into reverse

dbacion

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Gear shift is off by one gear and hard time shifting into reverse
I have Craftmans model# 917-250220 6 speed transmission
When I'm in say 3rd gear and shifter says I'm in 2nd gear and so on,I have a hard time shifting into reverse,about a year ago I replaced the one shifting link and the two bolts holding the transaxle to the frame which fell out causing the link to break.The tractor been shifting fine for over a year and then this problem occured,I checked all the bolts and all were tight and the shifting link seems to be alright,checked entire linkage,can't seem to find anything broken or out of place.I'm kind of stumped at this time,would appreciate any help or if anyone else had this problem.

Thanks,Don

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Didn't happen to bump something with the shift lever did you . I have seen this issue with the shifter being off a gear and not going into reverse because the shift lever has been bent back causing the selector to be off and not having enough rear travel to go into reverse.

dbacion

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't recall bumping into anything,but I will certainly check that.Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Maybe just a simple adjustment by loosening screw 232, moving lever so it can travel more to the reverse side. IE if in say second move the lever to second instead of first.

1716846623709.png