GCV190 Runs Terrible

Gasfumes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a GCV190 on a mower. Carb is good. Auto Choke works properly. It runs terrible, lacks power and seems to be missing. I haven't pulled the rocker cover yet. What should I look for?

Auto Doc's

Threads
Worn or wrong spark plug?

Also, the fuel tank likely needs to be removed and cleaned. Check the fuel line because they installed a slip in line fuel filter/ strainer on many models and they would get clogged up. Good engine but had some design flaws that created problems like you describe.

Aside from that, you say the carburetor is "good". Does that mean you removed it and properly cleaned it?

Gasfumes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Worn or wrong spark plug?

Also, the fuel tank likely needs to be removed and cleaned. Check the fuel line because they installed a slip in line fuel filter/ strainer on many models and they would get clogged up. Good engine but had some design flaws that created problems like you describe.

Aside from that, you say the carburetor is "good". Does that mean you removed it and properly cleaned it?
I cleaned the carb very well, and it wasn't even dirty. Cleaned fuel tank. Fuel flows well. I'll check the in line filter. Plug is new.
Oil is clean with no debris - don't think the timing gear on the crank is bad.
Gonna pull the rocker cover and see if maybe a rocker arm is damaged?

Last edited: