GCV160 Autochoke Keeps Failing

Widie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had a Honda HRR2168VKA for almost 10 years and it worked basically flawlessly until last year. Towards the end of the season it failed to start. I took it into a local repair place and they swapped out the thermowax assembly. It worked the rest of last year (only mowed a couple more times) but then when i tried to use it at the start of this season it wouldn't start again. I took the carb off myself this time (suspecting it might be the same problem) and confirmed the pin was extended. Assuming it was just a bad or defective part, I proceeded to swap the thermowax assembly with a new Honda branded part (16620-Z8D-841) and once again it started right up. The very next time I tried to start it (a couple weeks later) it wouldn't start again. So again I took off the carburetor and confirmed once again the pin was stuck extended with a cold engine. This time I just took the thermowax piece out, put the carb back without it, and it started right up (I shut it off after a few seconds since it was just a test to confirm there weren't other problems). I don't think it's a good idea to run without the thermowax part but I don't want to have to remove and replace the carb and swap a $5-10 part every time I use the mower.

Any suggestions besides just taking it back for another look by someone who knows more than me? Thanks.

JBtoro

Threads
I've had a Honda HRR2168VKA for almost 10 years and it worked basically flawlessly until last year. Towards the end of the season it failed to start. I took it into a local repair place and they swapped out the thermowax assembly. It worked the rest of last year (only mowed a couple more times) but then when i tried to use it at the start of this season it wouldn't start again. I took the carb off myself this time (suspecting it might be the same problem) and confirmed the pin was extended. Assuming it was just a bad or defective part, I proceeded to swap the thermowax assembly with a new Honda branded part (16620-Z8D-841) and once again it started right up. The very next time I tried to start it (a couple weeks later) it wouldn't start again. So again I took off the carburetor and confirmed once again the pin was stuck extended with a cold engine. This time I just took the thermowax piece out, put the carb back without it, and it started right up (I shut it off after a few seconds since it was just a test to confirm there weren't other problems). I don't think it's a good idea to run without the thermowax part but I don't want to have to remove and replace the carb and swap a $5-10 part every time I use the mower.

Any suggestions besides just taking it back for another look by someone who knows more than me? Thanks.
Here's what I did with a ornery thermowax issue. My mower is an HRX217 so I don't know if my solution will work for you. I was unable to locate your model but I did find an HRR216K8 (no "8" after the 216) and the parts on that model are the same or very similar to my mower. Essentially, my mod left me in control of the choke, as was the case on most Honda's before the wax was introduced. Some responders liked the post & a few completely missed the point. Whatever, I have used this mower at least a dozen times since my post and it starts & re-starts fine.

JBtoro

Threads
Here's what I did with a ornery thermowax issue. My mower is an HRX217 so I don't know if my solution will work for you. I was unable to locate your model but I did find an HRR216K8 (no "8" after the 216) and the parts on that model are the same or very similar to my mower. Essentially, my mod left me in control of the choke, as was the case on most Honda's before the wax was introduced. Some responders liked the post & a few completely missed the point. Whatever, I have used this mower at least a dozen times since my post and it starts & re-starts fine.
Oops. forgot the link. https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/gcv160-autochoke-keeps-failing.68886/

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This link just takes you back to this thread??? Could you have posted the wrong link or just want people to go in circles?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
take it back to the guy that did the work.