GCV 160 on mower makes loud clanking sounds

JBtoro

Threads
Just recently, the GCV160 on my mower started making clanking sounds, like 5 or 6 "clanks", when it powers down. When it is running at around 3100 RPM, it sounds fine. Took shroud off and spun the engine with a drill .. sounded fine, no clanking. So, when doing that, nothing is interfering with the spinning nor shut down of the engine. Blade is balanced & not hitting anything. Tried another known working recoil (in order to rule that out) & still clanks. Don't know that this noise, though worrisome, is actually harmful. Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the mounting bolts were it bolts to the deck are not loose.

JBtoro

Threads
Make sure the mounting bolts were it bolts to the deck are not loose.
Yes, that's a good thought. But I checked that, too. Torqued to spec, couldn't budge them any tighter. It's a mystery.

JBtoro

Threads
Yes, that's a good thought. But I checked that, too. Torqued to spec, couldn't budge them any tighter. It's a mystery.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Compression release???
Not the compression release. Often the clanking as the engine stops is the engine getting a bit tired, but still runs fine. Possibly connecting rod with wear and has some slop in it.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen a couple of the GCV engines damage the flywheel bearing allowing the flywheel to strike the ignition module. Could be a possible cause of the clank. Actually right now I am dealing with a customer about installing a new 31 hp Vanguard on a Mud Buddy due to flywheel bearing wear allowing the flywheel to hit the modules. Enough wobble that is has damaged the pto seal and dump oil into the belt drive lower unit.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Loose blade key in blade adapter sheared.

Scott_HRR

Threads
Not sure what this “clank” sounds like but most of the time I shut down my HRR Honda by partially releasing the break arm which will kill the coil and allow the engine to spin down normally without applying the break. I get 4-5 clanks at the end when the motor starts spinning slow enough to engage the compression release.

However I would not call this clanking noise I’m referring to as “loud” so what he describes may be more serious.