Gasoline getting in air filter compartment

OhioTom

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a used Lawnboy, model 10262. It is doing an odd thing I have never seen a mower do. when it runs, gasoline sprays into the air filter area. This is coming from a small tube that runs from the engine to the air filter, almost like an air recirculation tube. (I am new to Lawnboys, so don't know what this tube is for). The mower will only run with the air filter element removed. I am assuming that it needs this to get a lot of air, otherwise it is way too rich, due to the gasoline being sprayed into the air filter compartment. There also seems to be gasoline getting into the exhaust muffler area, because on initial start up, it sprays some gasoline out of there, too. The engine seems to run pretty well, as long as the air filter element is removed. This makes me think it is not a major internal issue in the engine, such as a stuck or broken valve, but don't know. Any ideas of why gas is going these places it doesn't belong?

OhioTom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update to my question: I explored this mower a little more, and discovered that there is also gasoline mixed with the oil in the oil reservoir. So, gasoline is getting everywhere. Is it likely that the carburetor is just letting the gas tank drain into the engine? If so, what specific part of the carburetor is likely to be defective? I have priced whole carburetor's and they are about $90, so I would rather just replace whatever is defective. As I said, the engine actually runs pretty well, when it gets enough air.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Update to my question: I explored this mower a little more, and discovered that there is also gasoline mixed with the oil in the oil reservoir. So, gasoline is getting everywhere. Is it likely that the carburetor is just letting the gas tank drain into the engine? If so, what specific part of the carburetor is likely to be defective? I have priced whole carburetor's and they are about $90, so I would rather just replace whatever is defective. As I said, the engine actually runs pretty well, when it gets enough air.

If the gas is flowing into the carb without stopping, I'd check the valve on the float. Make sure there isn't dirt partially clogging it and that it will shut off when the float is in the "up" position.