Gas Pressure Washer Not Running/ Not Running Properly

DavidR111

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Gas Pressure Washer Not Running/ Not Running Properly
I have a troybuilt gas pressure washer and recently it will run fine when I don't have the hose on but as soon as i turn on the water it abruptly shuts off. Also recently I have noticed that the oil has gotten water in it. What I mean by when I turn the water on is that I have a valve on the end of the hose and I connect the hose then turn the valve. I cant even start the pressure washer when the water is already flowing because the pull string locks up basically and is impossible to pull. That's why I have to turn the water on AFTER the engine is running, which will shut off the engine immediately.

BOND007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put New Plug in it, Second you want the water on because you can burn the pump up. What you have to do is pull the trigger on the wand to release the pressure when cranking. hope that helps

100 td

Threads
Also check water in oil in pump, as that says problem in pump, as soon as you turn on water, pump possibly hydraulically locks and stalls motor. Check pump pressure relief valve, if it has adjustable one, wind it off for a start to ensure it relieves.

Chip1wa

Threads
You've burned up the seals in the pump. Pressure washers are not designed to run without water flowing through the pump.
The oil looks milky because the water is getting past the seals and contaminating the oil in the pump. They're shot.
Never ever start a gas powered pressure washer without having water feeding the pump.
Rebuild it or replace it.

Telesis

Threads
What you describe sounds like your unloader valve is not opening. The unloader can be set to open at too high a pressure or it's stuck closed because of mineral buildup. I see that all the time. When you are starting your unit without pulling the wand trigger, the pump must overcome the unloader so that's why it's less of a load on the engine to pull the trigger instead. Keep in mind that the pump is pumping water 100% of the time the engine is turning. It's either coming out the wand when the trigger is pulled or it's recirculating in the pump because the unloader valve is open. When you pull the trigger, the unloader closes and water goes out the wand. If you leave it run too long without pulling the trigger, the recirculating water heats up until the thermal relief opens and you see water come out of it. That's why you should start it with the wand trigger pulled. This takes the unloader out of the picture while starting and is less of a load on the engine. If it starts, it is likely that when you let go of the trigger, the engine will stall. This also points to the unloader.

Also, you said you have water in the oil. This may sound like a dumb question, but which oil are you referring to, the engine or the pump. It's highly usual to ever check the oil in the pump on the typical residential model washer. That usually lasts for the life of the unit. [I'm assuming your machine is a residential type, with a vertical shaft engine like a Honda GCV160 or equivalent sized B&S] Your machine likely has an Annovi Reverberi pump and on some models, they have a black fill plug on the side. Others require a complete teardown to change. Is that what you examined? If you have water in the pump oil, I'd definitely replace the whole pump!

A replacement pump runs about $90. You can replace just the 'top end' or head of the pump for about $60. (not an option if your pump bottom end has water in the oil) A new unloader valve is around $30. [these are prices for the typical A-R wobble plate piston pumps on vertical shaft models]

Good luck!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I wish that was the case with low pressure home owners units I received in the shop but sadly hoses come in duct taped, wands missing tips or have the wrong tips, pump have been left out in freezing temps and so forth. Uusally by the time all the broken and missing parts quoted it is just as cheap to just to buy another complete unit because I am not doing it labor free.